What apple spec should I go for to future proof vectorworks

A Gardner

I'm about to learn and Vectorworks as quickly as I can, as I have clients wanting it already, but I need to buy a new computer, as a graphic designer I've always used Apple so will probably stick with them. But I've done lots of research regarding the spec of the machine and spoken to sales but still not sure which to go for:

Mac studio or MacBook Pro?

32 or 64 gb of Ram?

512 or 1Tb of storage?

24-core or 32-core GPU?

Any help welcome, thanks Alison

Studio is more powerful, MacBook is more portable. Both run VW well.

If you are doing 3D renders, go with 64GB Ram.

With a Studio and external drives, 512 will be plenty.  If it was me, I use a MacBook and want to keep everything on the internal drive for easy portabiliy. I would go with at least 1GB internal on a PB.  I currently have 2GB and am considering 4 for my next machine, but a lot of that is taken up by my archives.

I can't comment on the difference between the different GPU settings. I will let someone who has one expound on that.

• Like 1

Will you be using any other design / visualisation programmes other than VW?

I'm a long time Mac user who is about to migrate to a PC because Twinmotion doesn't play as nicely with Mac and won't do some things at all on a Mac, like ray tracing, or path tracer as TM calls it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to using a Windows machine again, but needs must.

Edited by Devonshire
  • Like 1