New Clothes Rod Tool

The rod and shelf currently use the class texture of the object.  If it’s important I could add class assignments for for the 3D shelf and 3D rod. 

My inclination is to be reticent to add classes to a drawing.  I don’t like it when other plugins add classes I don’t use. 

But if that would be useful for your workflow let me know!

If it were possible to have it so that the rod + shelf were by default both assigned to the '<Clothes Rod Class>' yet you had the option in the OIP to assign them to separate classes if desired that would be amazing (this way it wouldn't bring any extra classes into the file). I don't currently use the VW tool for this reason + would definitely use your tool if it did this! But I have zero idea how much work this would be for you or whether anyone else would find it beneficial so would fully understand if you declined...!

@Tom W. Next time I work on it, I'll see if I can add that.

Can I ask what you are doing with the textures?  

I considered but purposely didn't do things like brackets, mid shelves, vertical dividers, 3D hangers (except for the joke setting), clothes on the hangers, etc.  

This tool will be enough for me for simple closets and as a placeholder for fancier closets.  

You must be in the high end closet business?

@michaelk you might consider adding custom texture parts for the shelving and rod so that a user can texture each without adding separate classes.  I've attached a PIO that I used to experiment and figure out adding texture parts.  It builds a cube using 3D polys and adds a texture part for each side, defaulting each to use the By Class setting mapped to auto-align plane.  The PIO was written in VW2019 and will work with any copy of VW from 2019 forward, and I tested it in VW2023.

Just know that I don't think there is any VS commands to handle the newer Surface UV mapping and that there is a nasty bug starting on VW2022 where, if there isn't a texture assigned to the class, when you change the texture part to use a unique texture, it will reset ALL mapping settings back to default, which can be incredibly annoying if you want specific mapping settings.

The PIO is a wee bit complicated, as it's event enabled so that I could test editing textures through a button in the OIP, but I've notated the texture setup procedure to explain the various steps you may need.  Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Texturing Test.vso

35 minutes ago, michaelk said:

You must be in the high end closet business?

Ha ha not at all I was just a bit surprised when I used the VW tool for the first time recently that the rod + shelf had to be textured as one. Even to just be able to be able to make the shelf a white colour + the rod grey. The shelf might be bare wood or painted but the rail most likely metal. No more than that really.

🙂 I had several emails back and forth with a couple people about what the graphic attributes should be.  How random the hangers lines should be, etc.

Currently, In 2D you can change the line color, but not line weight.  If you look in the resource manager, Line Types there is a folder called Roddy Line Types.  In there are the line types for 2D shelf lines and the 2D closet rod line.  I think as long as you don't rename them you can edit the dash style.

And Jesse has a good idea.  I should probably bite the bullet and finally learn how to make plug-ins event aware.  🙂