Export Image Size Limitations for VW-12?

rjtiedeman

What are the secret rules for exporting "final renderworks" images out as tiff or photoshop.. In the past I have set the DPI anywhere from 300 too 1000 and the print size 12-18 inches wide and rendered 80 -120 meg photo quality images. Now rendering in VectorWorks 12 I can't do an image larger than 300DPI at 8 inches wide. If I go over the secret limit the program renders a blank file. I would like to know what the workaround for this limitation is and what about basic rules or instructions???

NOTE: the software will produce an adaquate image at 300 DPI as long as I keep it to below 2400DPI wide or 8" wide X 9" tall

MAC OS X Tiger 10.4.5

Power Mac G5

Number Of CPUs:2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

Memory:2.5 GB

Workaround: Render the image in tiles one at a time using the marguee option with sufficient overlap, and collect the tiles in photoshop. Unfortunately the marquee option is greyed out in batch rendering, but for perspectives, you can use the perspective window handle to make each tile a separate view. This method is acurate enough if you know your way around Photoshop.

Thank You, I will try the PNG and I will also try the render in pieces option. However I was hoping for a real fix to a new problem. If more memory will help I can get the office to load my machine to the max. I don't want to do this unless it will help. Since I am a long time user I am always surprised when we move forward in our ability to build objects but backward in others. I was hoping for a definitive document on how to get the best results from the people who sold me this software. [Confused] javascript:void(0)

The PNG worked better than the other formats in the list but Vectorworks still renders a blank file or partial image when you go past the unknown barrier. Monday I am getting 2 more gigs of ram for my office machine which will bring it to 4 gigs. I will run the images from last week and report back.

The short answer is no. The addition of more memory to my Mac Dual 2 Ghz G5 did nothing for rendering images. I doubled my ram to 5.5 Gigs and vectorworks 12 rendering is the same. Where is tech support on this issue? Please help. This is a problem in the rendering software not in hardware.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello rjtiedeman:

The limit used to be 4000 pixels wide for a single image, but since we tile images larger than that it should work regardless of whether it is greater than 4000 pixels wide.

Are you using image export? Have you tried using a viewport instead?

[ 03-28-2006, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

Dave, whats the deal with exporting viewports?

I am never quite sure, what I get. If I want to use a single viewport image from a sheet ? in the exact resolution and quality, that it is stored in, what is the best way to go around it? Lets say, I don't want to re-render it, because it just took me an hour to get it done.

It would be nice, if I could just option-click it and export, what is stored in the cache, but sofar, I have found no indication, that this is possible.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kaare:

You should be able to simply copy and paste a rendered viewport image. This works for Preview on the Mac, then you can save it in any format that Preview supports. Pasting into Word and Photoshop apps works too.

HTH,

Dave Donley

I am using image export, as always. I have tried viewports and I have not seen any improvement they are just slower for rendering. Last week I worked with Tech support on this issue and they had me reset the document preferences for PICT/PDF and printing from 72 dpi to 300 this helped alot. However after hours of testing I still get half rendered images is I set the quality too high.

Since version 12 opens new files with a defult value of 72 DPI this could be the issue and I will have to experiment more with this setting.

Regrads,

BobTiedemann