Finding screen plane objects..

LeeElston

Question

I have a drawing which must contain some objects drawn in screen plane rather than layer plane. Is there an easy way of finding which they are? I have viewed in axonometric view and nothing seems to be still appearing in screen plane, but when I try to disable the screen plane in the 'legacy 2d features' tick box I get the attached message which I don't understand.. 'unified view' must already be enabled as there is a tick in the box to turn it off....

TIA

screen plane.jpg

8 answers to this question

1. Make a backup copy in case of problems.

2. Copy the script from below and paste it into a new Script document (New Script Resrouce from the Resource Manager). Name it "ScreenPlane"

3. Make a worksheet with a database row criteria of Layer Is "name of your design layer here".  Pick a layer with a relatively small number of objects to start with until you get the WS working properly.

4. In the database column A header cell enter a formula of =ObjectTypeName.

5. In the database column B header cell enter a forumla of =RunScript('ScreenPlane')

6. Answer the warning dialog box to yes run scripts.

7. You should now have a list of all the objects in the layer. Any that are Screen Plane will say so in Column B. Use the Sort buttons to group them together at the top of the list.

8. Once you have the worksheet working for one layer, edit the criteria to All Objects. Check the search within Symbols and Plug-ins check boxes. The list should now include every object in the drawing and column B still should show those that are Screen Plane.

9. Right Click on the database header column (3.1, 3.2, etc.) for the screen plane objects and choose Select Item. From there you can choose to edit or delete the object.

10. Repeat for every Screen Plane Object. If the objects are inside symbols, you may want to recalculate the WS after you fix an object as if you change the symbol definition it should change all of them.

11. After fixing all the Screen Plane objects in the drawing, PURGE unused resources. The Worksheet can not access objects in resources that are not included in the drawing.

Ask if you need more information.

HTH

Procedure ScreenPlane;

{December 16, 2022}
{©2022 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed or Implied. Use at your own risk.}

Var		B1:Boolean;

BEGIN
	B1:=GetObjectVariableBool(WSScript_GetObject,1160);
	If B1 then WSScript_SetResStr('Screen Plane') else
		WSScript_SetResStr('');
End;

RUN(ScreenPlane);

• Like 2

as we have a lot of project files and employees that start new projects not from scratch, i was searching for a similar topic like this one.

Pat´s script works perfect, but i have some drawings where lines and polygons can´t be shifted to layer or symbol workingplane. They always stay in screen plane.

Is there any way to "kill" this screen plane feature and push element to layer plane?

If I understand, these may be objects made of other objects, some, at least one of which, should be screen plane. I've had to go into edit mode on those items and then use the magic wand set for only "plane" in the 'other attributes' section. tedious but gets it done eventually

yes correct. but the main problem is that most of these elements are part of symbols and so someone has to manually go through all symbols and edit these.

and inside the symbol it is not possible to change these elements from screen plane to symbol definition. it always swaps back to screen plane...

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, bjoerka said:

yes correct. but the main problem is that most of these elements are part of symbols and so someone has to manually go through all symbols and edit these.

and inside the symbol it is not possible to change these elements from screen plane to symbol definition. it always swaps back to screen plane...

@bjoerka Ouch. Sorry to hear that