create symbol

mac 8600/200, os8.6, vwsl 9.01. i've imported a dxf from autocad2000, everything is there.

question 1:since the objects depicting lamps are just objects, i must convert them to symbols.example: there are 9 pc2k's. select 1 and create symbol and name it, no sweat.select an other, but you can't give it the same name. so you end up having 9 names for 9 identical lamps.now u must declare each of them individually, lighting ins.and fill data fields. now the rest of the plot has 54 pars,36 lekos, 17 s4 pars, 30 pc1k, etc...IS THERE SOMETHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND?

quote:

Originally posted by bruce johansen:

mac 8600/200, os8.6, vwsl 9.01. i've imported a dxf from autocad2000, everything is there.

question 1:since the objects depicting lamps are just objects, i must convert them to symbols.example: there are 9 pc2k's. select 1 and create symbol and name it, no sweat.select an other, but you can't give it the same name. so you end up having 9 names for 9 identical lamps.now u must declare each of them individually, lighting ins.and fill data fields. now the rest of the plot has 54 pars,36 lekos, 17 s4 pars, 30 pc1k, etc...IS THERE SOMETHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND?

Currently there isn't a good way to get from the groups you're getting from autocad to symbols / instruments in SpotLight.

If the groups have record information attached your best bet may be to export the data out to a text file and use an external program like excel or Lightwright to massage the data a bit to include a field for the symbol name. Once you have the symbol names filled out for the instruments create symbols in SpotLight from one of the groups. (i.e. create a pc2k symbol and enter pc2k as the symbol name for all those instruments.) You can then import the data file into a basically empty file or into an empty layer in the file. This will give you instrument objects with symbols and data attached and you'll just have to drag them into place on the plot where they belong.

I think this process could be made a little bit easier if you wanted to delve into the world of VectorScript a little bit. I'll add this as a wishlist item for SpotLight.

------------------

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------