Dimension Tools Styles adjustability

Eric Chase

I like how I can customize the dimension tool with arrows or lines, line thicknesses, and other visual elements.

However I find myself more often needing different colors and different levels of precision in my dimensions tools. Sometimes I need it to be precise to 1/8" or 1/16", and other times I need it to round to the inch.

I know I can change it individually, or select a few and manually change, but I'd love to know if there was a way to create a Dimension Tool style so one click immediately adjusts the color and precision. 

No and Yes.

Dimension Styles don't support color or line thickness, they only support the type of dimension and the offsets of the leaders and text.

So you can't create a Style that can be applied to dimension objects that will change all of them when you change the style.

But you can create multiple Custom Tools that have different Attributes but all use the Dimension tool. Set the Dimension tool the way you want it and leave it selected. Then go to the Tool menu and choose Custom Tool...  It will create a script that will set the attributes to what you currently have set and select the Dimension tool.

You could also create a script that would set the attributes of existing objects to what you would have in a "style".

HTH

Ask again if you need more information.