Coordinating representation modes in plan and section...

Hi All!
I'm trying to re-understand and complexify our use of the Assets/Layers/Representation depths, and I'm coming to some problems. Hope I can be clear.
Sorry if the english-terms are not right, I'm working with the german version and I'll try to be clear.
Low level section and plan are OK (color is by layer of the "floor" resource, not of the components) the "rendered plan" is not as expected. I get the textures of the components' materials.

Medium/high level section is ok, but I'd expect to see the colors of the components' layers in the 2D plan, as I'm seeing the textures of the components' materials in the render.
I guess no difference should be expected between medium and high. It would be great to have this possibility also...

Thanks in advance for your comments and help!

grafik.thumb.png.d8d85f0266a4e4247e8065003d0ca3ce.png

Edited by arquitextonica

grafik.thumb.png.d9c72c49fed9eca33e22653fbd799cd3.png

Another attempt... top left is the 2D-Plan. Though it is configured on the level of detail-high, it shows the complete floor fill-colour.
Bottom left is the volume model and displays the material textures of the upper components of the floor assets.
Right is "surfaces and edges" (don't know if it is the right english term) and shows the filling of the material for the correct upper components of the floor assets.
In my opinion, a detailed groundfloor, should show a mix of top-left and right, so complete walls but the solid colour fillings of the upper components.
Anyone that can point me in a solution/direction.
Thanks in advance to all!

• Like 1

Sadly I can not share the file as it has a lot of propietary knowledge that would take ages to strip away.
Here you can see the rendering modes in the german version. I compared them to the USA one and I surprisingly found that there are more.
https://vectorworks-hilfe.computerworks.eu/2022/Vectorworks-Hilfe/Rendern_Drucken/Vectorworks_2144-.htm?rhhlterm=darstellungsarten darstellungsart&rhsearch=darstellungsart

But basically the problem can be understood in that when I choose the "2d Plan" view (named identically), the color filling I receive is that of the asset-slab, not that of the components as in any other rendering mode...

Top/Plan is not a rendered view. It is basically a wireframe plus mode.

2D objects show as filled.

3D objects show as wireframe.

Hybrid object show only their "2D" portion and show them as other 2D objects show.

I think for what you want you can't use Top/Plan, but will need to cut a Horizontal Section and pick the render mode that gets you what you want.  Basically, you need to create a viewport in an elevation view and then cut a Section Viewport horizontally across the elevation.  There have been a number of posts about this. Or ask again if you need more help.

I use a "Tile" I've created in order to represent the floor covering. I draw a rectangle/polygon (on the layer plane), apply the Tile via the attributes pallet. I don't bother doing this for carpet.

It seems to be quick and easy. Also, I can use the attributes mapping tool to quickly suggest a tile layout for the builder.

Probably moving forward I should use the Floor tool, which would then show thickness in a 3d view. Draw the outline of the floor, set the fill attribute to the Tile, then AEC|Floor.

Let me know if you want instruction on building the 'tile'. 

.  1687951351_Screenshot2022-12-15at8_24_35AM.thumb.jpg.a3dfe5f6ce0089d5016ffeca9408d1cf.jpg798065246_Screenshot2022-12-15at8_32_14AM.thumb.jpg.2e35616752748b7a6aa495b1861313e4.jpg1138499130_Screenshot2022-12-15at8_37_57AM.thumb.jpg.5ae5a1799b2877524e690ccc85b84d1b.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

@line-weightplease extrapolate. I am old and didn't even think of "horizontal section viewport" as I don't think I have ever used that command.

When would you use each?

Good question - as it's not really spelt out very clearly anywhere in VW documentation as far as I can see!

Also, it can be hard to distinguish them in the wild, as they are both called "section viewports" in the OIP.

As I understand it a HSVP is somewhere between a top/plan representation and a straightforward horizontal section.

It's a true horizontal section cut - so most geometry is cut exactly true to life, depending on the height of the cut plane, but certain objects like doors can be shown as a version of their 2d symbol. For example you can show things like door swing lines.

Instead of drawing your section line onto an elevation viewport, you can set your cut plane height directly via the OIP - in fact this is one of the ways to tell if you are dealing with a HSVP - it will have the "cut plan and extents" button there.

It's really confusing that this is the only way to tell them apart. I've previously requested that the OIP should distinguish but it has fallen on deaf ears.

1995974338_Screenshot2022-12-14at21_42_52.jpg.a0944c11274d1474eba2bd40927a954a.jpg

For top/plan refuseniks like me, the HSVP is the way forward for generating proper architectural floor plans with the minimum amount of messing about with hybrid symbols and so on.

(Vectorworks documentation people - the difference really needs to be set out clearly somewhere in VW help.)

• Like 2