Molding in rendorworks

mwysolme

i added stock molding from my resource browser and am trying to add wood texture using renderworks texture, i added the texture file to my resourse broswer and on the object info page of the modleing i selected the wood texture, but there are no options after i select. and it just renders in grey....i was able to do it before and cant figure out what im doing wrong. i can add texture this way to walls that i create, but not this molding...any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "molding".

What is the name of the object you added, and from which library did you get it?

Generally though, if the object is a symbol you have to double click it (or right click it in the resource browser) to get into it's Edit Mode. Then you can apply the texture to the basic 3D part(s) that make up the object.

If it's an object like aDoor or Window, textures are applied by Classes in the OIP.

HTH

Well ... this was the first time I've ever checked out that one. Forgedaboutit ...

Better to :

1) Create Cornice profile with lines & arcs then compose

2) Convert to Nurbs

3) Dup and move then Create Hull=solid & texture

For corners use Revolve with Rail :

1) Profile around square then Trim to corner angle... remember that you need both a right hand & a left hand corner and also inside & outside corners.

You can then integrate the chain extruded Cornice into the Nurbs Cornice for the full effect.

OK, mwysolme,

first, you need to render in Final Render mode to see some textures properly, they will just show up as "grey" in Open GL.

(in VW10) if I use the Cornice object and apply the generic Wood texture it shows as grey in open gl.

If I render it in Final, the moulded extrusion renders but the corbels do not. (?!)

This gets back to what Eddie was saying about having to go "deep" into Plug-in Objects sometimes.

Instead of converting to 3D poly's or anything else,

try

Organise> Convert to Group (Cmd K) 1st option

This will "decompose" the Chain Extrude back "1 level" and make a group of the extrudes that make it up.

It will then all render. (in Final render mode)

if you chose one of the other options in Convert to Group it will decompose the object more, and the 3rd option will decompose it all the way back to a group of 3D polys.

If you have VW11, you might find the Open GL render is better: it was improved in VW11.

HTH