Dividers for Layers and Sheets

Tom Klaber

Question

8 hours ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

I never understood why users create those divider layers. Certainly not since we got layer filtering. I don't see the use...

If you have a file with loads of referenced-in layers from other files, DIY dividers are a way to keep the different sets of layers separate + coherent.

Layer filtering is great too, when you want to quickly isolate a certain group of layers, but dividers perform a different function + are also necessary.

• Like 1

I use dividers on my projects and never (intentionally) re-sort the design layer order. I appreciate other people do though!

A non-workaround way to add dividers would be nice. And one that is impervious to the accidental purge (which I often accidentally do as they are always empty).

Personally I am less interested in folders as it just resorts to lots of clicking.

I would also be happy to stop calling them design layers and sheet layers and instead just have layers and sheets as has been mentinoed.

(Whilst we're at it, lets get rid of design layer scales too...)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

I never understood why users create those divider layers. Certainly not since we got layer filtering. I don't see the use...

Filtering seems like way too much set up and too many clicks.  Why filter if you can just scroll down? I almost never wan to be in a situation where some layers are not visible.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Using tags is a great way to filter too.

They're a last resort for me because of my own user error risks. Hard to keep track of... 

10 hours ago, Tom W. said:

There is a 'starts with' filter for classes...

212300622_Screenshot2022-12-08at06_15_53.png.f1261f136798c035aafeb6d7437a037d.png

Facepalm. Not only did I know this, I use ends with for my AutoPlot classes. I was mixing this up with 2 other things:

• Still no way to filter for classes that are not assigned (that I know of)
  • Saved Views classing info

HOWEVER... you got me to take a second look at Saved Views, and I just had to drag the 3 dot handle at the bottom of the drop down list to reveal the custom class filters, so actually users can create a Lighting saved view that auto-populates with new objects who's classes beging with "Lighting-"

238982774_ScreenShot2022-12-08at08_54_08.png.bff8792342f5c0f6cad36fadef2e0420.png

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mark Aceto said:

They're a last resort for me because of my own user error risks. Hard to keep track of... 

Facepalm. Not only did I know this, I use ends with for my AutoPlot classes. I was mixing this up with 2 other things:

• Still no way to filter for classes that are not assigned (that I know of)
  • Saved Views classing info

HOWEVER... you got me to take a second look at Saved Views, and I just had to drag the 3 dot handle at the bottom of the drop down list to reveal the custom class filters, so actually users can create a Lighting saved view that auto-populates with new objects who's classes beging with "Lighting-"

238982774_ScreenShot2022-12-08at08_54_08.png.bff8792342f5c0f6cad36fadef2e0420.png

BTW I've seen users (in video tutorials) add dividers to their Saved Views as well. They had a template file set up with all departments set up as Saved Views with dividers before and after for other types of Saved Views.

Unfortunately, the big caveat with Saved Views is navigating them because they're scripts. Is there a way to arrow up / down through the list of views somehow (like Layers and Classes) or just lots of clicking and scrolling?

2 hours ago, _James said:

(Whilst we're at it, lets get rid of design layer scales too...)

You had me up until here. I'm guessing you only annotate on sheet layers. There are loads of users that also annotate on design layers with world-based objects that need to have a certain range of scales available.

Likewise, there other use cases with ConnectCAD, AutoPlot, etc. that design layers need to be a specific scale for the purpose of that workflow.

1902912014_ScreenShot2022-12-08at09_12_22.thumb.png.5025efcffa5c095d3db2fbef12aa52fb.png

• Like 2

Indeed, Design Layer scale is immensely important.

Even if you annotate within Sheet Layer Viewports, setting up your Design Layers to a scale that matches most of your viewports will let you preview what things will look like at said scale. For example, hatches, line types, text sizes, etc are all affected by Design Layer scale, allowing you to make more informed decisions as you're working in a Design Layer. I tend to 'set it and forget it' at 1/4" scale, which is what a majority of my viewports are set to.

If you're not using it, you probably should be. It's one of the best things about VW, in my opinion.

(It might be better thought of as "Annotative Scale").

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

BTW I've seen users (in video tutorials) add dividers to their Saved Views as well.

I do this. In fact I think I saw it in a video too. I give the views numbered prefixes in order to group different types together + use dividers to split up the groups

e.g.:

101720182_Screenshot2022-12-08at17_19_01.png.983fb16009307078ab49a1ae54ca4ea1.png

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

Why filter if you can just scroll down?

That is why I never use "Hierarchical Display" anywhere.

Scrolling - when having a familiar sorting - is so much faster and

predictable than extracting and collapsing hierarchies.

Just for the advantage to change visibilty of a whole branch.

What you can do as fast by click and drag in Navi Palette.

(Mac only)

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I do this. In fact I think I saw it in a video too. I give the views numbered prefixes in order to group different types together + use dividers to split up the groups

e.g.:

101720182_Screenshot2022-12-08at17_19_01.png.983fb16009307078ab49a1ae54ca4ea1.png

Hi,

The Save Views palette must also be updated:

- Sorting options

- Search options

- "real" Divider

- Colors options

- Tags

At the moment, this kind of palette has no more options like showing us the views, not more.

There is unused potential in my eyes!

Greeting and have a nice Weekend

Tobi

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tobias Kern said:

- Sorting options

Class filters need this too. See:

At least with Saved Views you can rename the views + in that way reorder them. And add your own dividers. With class filters you can do none of this. Feels like we need the same improved functionality across the board. It's inconsistent + limited at the moment.

• Like 3
On 12/9/2022 at 5:54 AM, Tobias Kern said:

Hi,

- Sorting options

- Search options

- "real" Divider

- Colors options

- Tags

At the moment, this kind of palette has no more options like showing us the views, not more.

There is unused potential in my eyes!

Greeting and have a nice Weekend

Tobi

On 12/8/2022 at 1:23 PM, Tom W. said:

e.g.:

Looks almost like doing it alphabetically. I just add a number at the end.

I use dividers on Sheet Layers to separate CDs from Presentation or Consultant drawings.

image.png.dcddb9d9b51147df20b0e88618307045.png