Dividers for Layers and Sheets

Tom Klaber

Question

19 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

For everyone upvoting, make sure you actually upvote by clicking the Chevron in the top left of the original post:

This is an important hint, that many aren't aware of.

(But for me personally, 80% of the Feature and Content Requests Chevrons are already glowing green ...)

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

What should happen to your dividers when you click on the top of a column for a different sort order?

This is where folders for Layers and Sheets would help, and an interface similar to the Class navigation palette with an option for heierarchical displays (or not).  

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

I never understood why users create those divider layers.

I used them too.

Usually I try to keep a single Layer per Story.

If that does no more work for complexity or for my needed design versioning control

and I will need more than 2 Layers per Story, I also add fake devider "Layers" in my

Navigation Palette.

Also I often propagated for Coloring in the whole Navigation Palette,

no matter if Classes, Layers, Sheets, ...

I can do so in Finder, in Modo's Item Manager, .... and make great use of Colors.

This is similar to an analog speedometer in a car or rev meter where you can

easily estimate when it is ok or too much even when focusing somewhere else.

Colors, Hierarchies or Dividers help to click the right thing without effort.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

One question. A real one. Crowd source is often best.

What should happen to your dividers when you click on the top of a column for a different sort order?

The image shows the layers sorted by stacking order, but what would be the proper behavior if you clicked to sort by Name or by Layer?

It is often small details like this that slow down implementation of seemingly simple features. If you never change the sort order it is not a problem. But there has to be a reasonable experience for those who do change sorts also.

Same thing that happens now using that workaround. The divider/layer has a stacking order. Another way of looking at this wish is that layers could have the same name so we wouldn’t have to do this:

————

—————

——————

———————

————————

Btw I’ve taken to hiding scratch stuff on these dummy layers.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, Peter Vandewalle said:

I never understood why users create those divider layers. Certainly not since we got layer filtering. I don't see the use...

I use both on every project. Have for years. I also find myself using the dividers workaround elsewhere. It’s a great hack when you need it.

I’ve also started prefixing layer names for better organization / readability. Helps with Braceworks, ConnectCAD, project sharing, referenced files, etc. Added bonus: Layer Filters that start with... 

219173642_ScreenShot2022-12-07at15_27_29.png.d84728fc68cbb16c18dc9c79331d4f5d.png

However, in true VW fashion, Class filters are still the same crippled dialog of choices as the day they were introduced:

1211800692_ScreenShot2022-12-07at15_28_19.png.188c56765e315ed90ff7ede2ee985365.png

The irony is that Classes are hierarchical, so most already have a prefix, and yet... no starts with... 

The tragedy is that users could have Saved Views that autoupdate as classes are added if there was starts with... filter. Think departments like Rigging, Lighting, Video, Staging... then we could finally stop using Design Layers for departments (the way god intended). But, no, new features never get developed after they're introduced (going on 6 years for this one).

Here's an example from my last gig (which was a 4-week rush job with lots of do-overs and oh-by-the-ways):

208078274_ScreenShot2022-12-07at15_19_09.png.8573b670dd22a0ff04ca0eaa76094e07.png

Now if only my viewports, saved views, data visualizations… were that organized.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Same thing that happens now using that workaround. The divider/layer has a stacking order. Another way of looking at this wish is that layers could have the same name so we wouldn’t have to do this:

————

—————

——————

———————

————————

Dividers for layer lists, yes.  Layers with the same name, no.  In the absence of the former, still no for the latter.  On that path, lies confusion, agony, and death.  (Next time, I'll tell you how I really feel.)

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1
11 minutes ago, Sam Jones said:

Dividers for layer lists, yes.  Layers with the same name, no.  In the absence of the former, still no for the latter.  On that path, lies confusion, agony, and death.  (Next time, I'll tell you how I really feel.)

I mentioned that for context of what we're hoping to achieve visually (not literally suggesting we have layers with the same name).

I can always count on you to tell me how you really feel 🌞

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

I never understood why users create those divider layers. Certainly not since we got layer filtering. I don't see the use...

What I don't understand is:

• Why users can't edit layer filters after they're created
    • Can they even be deleted?
  • Why layer filters are still sorted by stacking order with no other way to sort them, not even alphabetically

Again, development abandoned after the initial release of this feature which is already pretty powerful but could be so much more... 

2 hours ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

My use: I don't think I've ever used filters for layers.  I typically have relatively few layers and keep them all visible at all times, yet want to have a way to identify subgroups for clarity.  A hierarchical system with a hierarchical toggle like Classes would be even better (e.g. Space Planning folder with levels 0, 1, 2) 

591758192_DLPalette.jpeg.7615dddf334c8e887a0ae5f7d2120286.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

The irony is that Classes are hierarchical, so most already have a prefix, and yet... no starts with... 

The tragedy is that users could have Saved Views that autoupdate as classes are added if there was starts with... filter.

There is a 'starts with' filter for classes...

212300622_Screenshot2022-12-08at06_15_53.png.f1261f136798c035aafeb6d7437a037d.png

Using tags is a great way to filter too.

• Like 2