Cannot render multiple viewports

adroney

I have 5 viewports set to final quality renderworks on a sheet layer set to 300 dpi. When I try to render more than 3 of the viewports, I get a message saying to either reduce the sheet layer dpi or the number of viewports.

My computer is very fast and has 2 gigs of memory. It would seem that it would be able to handle this. Is there a way around this??

Thank you

I didn't get the message when I was printing, I got it when I was trying to render the viewports one by one.

The file was huge, 30MB. I copied everything from the large file into a new one and it was only 1.2 MB and everyting rendered fine. Not sure what was wrong with the original file.

Thank You!

30mb is not necessarily a huge file. I work with 400mb sometimes. It's important that you identify the corruption in that file then post the results for the rest of us. Basically all Viewports does is keep track of parameters and links to other Layers. Therefore, something on one of the DesignLayers was causing the problem. In my experience a ModLayer with multi Layer links to Layers with multi light objects will create a memory resource drain when the ModLayer is Viewported with other ModLayers with light objects. To avoid this I also place light objects on separate Layers then link to the light layers as required.

• 4 weeks later...

To follow-up what islandmon said, when you find the fault you may want to make a new container, ie. open a new file and workgroup reference the layers from the original file(s) to the new file. This mean one needs to redo viewports but this is worthwhile to produce a clean file that in the future is not corrupted.

Islandmon:

You said: ?To avoid this I also place light objects on separate Layers then link to the light layers as required.? I?m not sure what this means. Do you mean light sources are one separate layers and layer linked, or, each item that is lit is layer linked, or, something else?

JS..

I've discovered that having various dedicated Lighting Layers is very helpful and efficient as well as easily added to both Mod Layers and Viewports to achieve just the right look with minimal overhead. Additionaly, when creating VRML movies having the LiteLayer linked and then a 3D PolyLayer linked and active is perfect.

Global Lighting is better-off on its own layers based on the different set-ups and times of day, etc. Specific Highlights and symbol lights will always go with the objects on the Layers.