Color of symbols VW2023

Hello guys

On VW 2020 If I have the option "Use Layer Colors" I can get a different color on symbols by fixture type.
Something like this:
image.png.4450f335c49f7e9032c7c28ab9cbdde4.png

But now I'm trying to use this and the colour doesn't change.
I have a "check" on the box "Modify Lighting Device Color checked (Spotlight Prefs)", and try with symbols of the fixtures and with other VW resources like lines and rectangles and the color is just white and black.
(I don't have a check on the box "Black and white only")

image.thumb.png.97a6a76b91c7b1ade4c49b07ebfa56d1.png

image.png.c4322d35f251539c81ae8b656365c63e.png

What am I doing wrong?

Then you can't use Layer Colors.  When you use Layer Colors the object on each layer are given a different color. All the objects in the same layer have the same color.

Perhaps you have set the colors by Class before?

I am not strong enough in Spotlight and lighting fixtures to know exactly what you are trying to do. Hopefully one of our lighting experts will chime in and we will both learn something.

If you use Layer colors, you cannot color different fixture types with different colors.  Everything on the layer will be the same color.

I have only been able to get class colors applied to Instrument type with the following settings.

Image.thumb.png.647b03bb6f2187caef36eb3970a57316.png

While this works (sort of), I get much much better results using Data Visualization (DV).  Which also gives me much greater latitude as to when I color by Instrument Type or by another Lighting Device parameter.  Using DV I can use different settings for different viewports depending on for whom the sheet layer is meant.

Learning DV will open up a whole new world for making your drawings more informative, and not just for Lighting Devices.

• Like 4

SORRY

I was talking about class colours.

Sorry but sometimes make confusion about class’s and layers.

I managed to find out by the colors by class.  The problem is that I had to activate the “USE” of the classes.  But now I can't hide the moving heads movement circle.  what did I do wrong?

1313D229-69FF-48B1-A108-5D862A353A88.jpeg

PS: about data visualization. 
I tried use that new feature but without success.

do you know a tutorial about this please? 

Edited by Cristiano Alves
3 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

the movement circle is to give it a class in the symbol definition and hide that class.

i think the class lighting-Movement Radius is by default..

So can build a datavis who put the fill to none to that class 

And I can Build a datavis who change the color of the symbol , but the both cant be applied together (i tried with select multiple datavis... but without an attended result...)

In my opinion the better way is to edit the 2d component off the lighting instrument and give a none fill to the Movement Radius object / or editing the Movement Radius class and assign the attribut by class for the Movement Radius object  

image.thumb.png.e2dbfd08700c5525b52ec88e28e6dc18.png

image.png.b2dcf88ae0cba058fca554e046f8457c.png

• Like 1

Can you explain me how I can edit the fixtures symbols?

On 12/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Ben59 said:

image.thumb.png.e2dbfd08700c5525b52ec88e28e6dc18.png

image.png.b2dcf88ae0cba058fca554e046f8457c.png

On 12/8/2022 at 9:39 PM, Rob Books said:

Data Viz gives you more control over classes and colors. 

When you use the Spotlight Fill options, it fills all geometry, even if it is set to a none fill.  This gave us another bug about some "wings" that happened because of two sweeps that had a none fill until you selected fill by, and the Movement Radius is set to a none fill by default, but the fill by color changes that.  At least they are all set to the back now, when we first started doing the Movement Radius, they were on top of all the geometry.

Understand, thank you so much.

I will try use the data visualization

• 5 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, Sam Jones said:

While this works (sort of), I get much much better results using Data Visualization (DV).  Which also gives me much greater latitude as to when I color by Instrument Type or by another Lighting Device parameter.  Using DV I can use different settings for different viewports depending on for whom the sheet layer is meant.

Learning DV will open up a whole new world for making your drawings more informative, and not just for Lighting Devices.

Come back here, because... Edit the color on the 2D symbol works at a time, but now I tried to start a new VW file, and..... this doesn't work again, probably some settings are not equal to the project before, because the symbol/fixture is the same (I apply the same symbol then project before). Every time I think I understand something on Vectorworks when I start again... it's a different way 😅

However, now I see more advantages in Data Visualization because that allows me "paint" in 3D. 

It's difficult to learn more about data visualization, on Vectorworks Acadamy, one tutorial (what I saw to make these examples),
https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=223

And a video but I don't have permission to see them:

https://university.vectorworks.net/enrol/index.php?id=1668

Any idea about other content teaching this? I will stay very grateful

With the first tutorial, I have some results but not good enough on quality.

These are my results (yes, I try to add some "ambient light" but the result isn't good.)

Edit mode:
image.png.aaf3b70bb498360b7578ab211299cd8c.png

Viewport on Sheet layer:
image.png.174b9940b67acb19df2e3766c370cb36.png

Another question:
I want to make some viewports:

All of the fixtures with the colors:
Beams (Robe Point) - GREEN
Spots (Robe Megapoint) - RED
Wash's (Martin Aura) - Blue

After that, a viewport just with the floor package, when just some fixtures on the ground should be painted.
But the way I did it (depicted below), I don't see how I can make this type of selection.

I make filters by class:

image.png.8327d4e2c7c4c5724dee398c3792df5f.png

image.png.e7a7d3b583605bc0cb0f833c3c84b653.png

How I can make it?

Edited by Cristiano Alves

Sorry for the double post but it for no mix the content.

Another try.
I add one Robe Pointe and one Robe MegaPointe at my file.
That way I have 2 make the Lighting Devices.
I made the first criterion with "Type is Lighting Device"

image.png.2c6b27117d14813c475949a60edd451f.png

And we can check these criteria are correct because two objects is found.
After that, I try filtering by Instrument Type... 

But... didn't work.
image.thumb.png.6b96c6db54741e4fcb703e2c84911b3a.png

What I made wrong?