VW 2023 Space Tool

Hi all,

What happened to the Space tool in VW 2023 ?? When I place the space I can edit the name of the space and other features, but then after deselect it I cannot go back and edit that name, etc... It just selects as if it was a Data Tag, is this Intentional ?

Here I just placed the Space object and I can edit and even in the top of the OIP it shows "SPACE" in the object.

1959782592_Screenshot2022-12-02at15_53_53.thumb.png.bfd3d7fa7782bc1e3eab2a676768fc32.png

After I deselect and select it again, a new icon shows up where the arrow is pointing (I'm guessing this might give some options to edit? But I cannot click or don't know how to access these settings), in the OIP the name has changed from "SPACE" to "DATA TAG" and all the previous options have disappeared...

771986329_Screenshot2022-12-02at15_54_59.thumb.png.1f10c8bd318e06dc07199db8c7339230.png

My question is how can I go back after deselect to edit the name ???

When I select the option "EDIT TAG DATA" it shows the following screen, but as you can see everything is locked and I cannot edit it... 

790891175_Screenshot2022-12-02at16_00_50.thumb.png.85651d696622c68539d7dcfef7747faf.png

• 1 month later...

Space tool had a major downgrade in 2023. There are multiple topics on the forum already complaining about the tool. 

The fact you cannot edit the field when double click the tag is a lost opportunity.. would eliminate a lot of time searching for the fields in the OIP.

My major complain is that there is no easy way to reshape the space contour when clicking on the label. Often we hide the space lines so we cannot select those and have to click on the label to enter reshape. This only works with VW2022 or lower. It's so frustrating that we decided not to upgrade to VW2023 for now.

Revit gives the spaces a invincible cross that highlights when you move your mouse cursor above it. So you can select the space and reshape it. This could also work for Vectorworks.

@Matt Panzer will the space tool get any improvements with a SP? Since there is a lot of workflow issues with the 'improved' tool. See multiple topics on the forum.

Edited by MarcelP102
  • Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
23 minutes ago, MarcelP102 said:

Space tool had a major downgrade in 2023. There are multiple topics on the forum already complaining about the tool. 

The fact you cannot edit the field when double click the tag is a lost opportunity.. would eliminate a lot of time searching for the fields in the OIP.

My major complain is that there is no easy way to reshape the space contour when clicking on the label. Often we hide the space lines so we cannot select those and have to click on the label to enter reshape. This only works with VW2022 or lower. It's so frustrating that we decided not to upgrade to VW2023 for now.

Revit gives the spaces a invincible cross that highlights when you move your mouse cursor above it. So you can select the space and reshape it. This could also work for Vectorworks.

@Matt Panzer will the space tool get any improvements with a SP? Since there is a lot of workflow issues with the 'improved' tool. See multiple topics on the forum.

The Space object is not developed under my team but I don't believe any changes will be coming in a SP.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, MarcelP102 said:

My major complain is that there is no easy way to reshape the space contour when clicking on the label. Often we hide the space lines so we cannot select those and have to click on the label to enter reshape. This only works with VW2022 or lower.

Similar to @Silvano I give my Spaces a 2D Boundary (i.e. a solid fill) which makes them easy to select. It's controlled by class + I have a Saved View to easily access them when I want to edit them. Most of the time the Spaces + Data Tags are hidden + I just turn on the labels in VPs. I am quite happy that they now use Data Tags. But perhaps I am just lucky with the (simple) way I use the tool compared to other people.

@Tom W. @Silvano I understand that option, and you can use it like that but you have to remember to go and select that line, when in VW 2022 you just selected the Label and you would have access to the same options as if you select the boundary lines, We usually use the space label with no lines or fill just the label, and when you want to resize it you would select the label and the points would show and you could, now you cannot, you select the label and that label is just the label... 

I get the way of using with classes, but instead of having just one class for the space label, now i would have to create like 3 classes, one for line, fill and label?? this is just more classes to the already extensive list of classes that if you go in a BIM direction you already have like a few thousand per project...

@Matt Panzer i've had created a Jira report VB-192101

Edited by FBernardo
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, FBernardo said:

I reported as a bug, but it seems that in correct terms is a downgrade of the functionality on the tool, at the time I created that bug report I thought it would be a bug and not a downgrade of the tool.

I believe the bug report will come back as “working as designed”.  Probably the best bet would be to submit this as an enhancement request (or post on the WishList forum).  The problem is due to the space labels being added as separate associated data tags.  This is a considerable improvement over the previous version but does have the unfortunate side effect for the workflow you describe.  Maybe there could be a way to select objects associted to a data tag via context a menu command - or something like that.

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

I believe the bug report will come back as “working as designed”.  Probably the best bet would be to submit this as an enhancement request (or post on the WishList forum).  The problem is due to the space labels being added as separate associated data tags.  This is a considerable improvement over the previous version but does have the unfortunate side effect for the workflow you describe.  Maybe there could be a way to select objects associted to a data tag via context a menu command - or something like that.

Hi Matt,

I can only understand the "considerable improvement" when someone actually explains or shows the whole new functionality as of now it became almost useless tool for our workflow...

5 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Maybe there could be a way to select objects associted to a data tag via context a menu command - or something like that.

Idea 1 

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't use the data tag tool at all, when you press the reshape tool when selecting a data tag nothing happens. The reshape tool get's activated but you can not reshape the data tag. 

Why don't make it so that the reshape tool gets activated for the object associated with the data tag? This can be a space, but also a wall or window or whatever. 

So bringing back the reshape possibility when selecting the space label. And also improving the workflow for other objects.

image.thumb.png.eae7e4f0e81cc64dea69af35d3d9749f.png

Idea 2

And please make it so that when we input the value in the pop-up of the data tag that this info gets changed in the assosiated space

image.png.6c92337259e034095577439d3628e64c.png

Can anyone make an enhancement request? I can only do this with my local reseller and I'm not really convinced that this request will make it to VW USA.

Edited by MarcelP102

In fact, a perimeter line isn't even necessary because once the space tag is clicked, this overlay line that appears and highlights the 2D boundary of the object and, once clicked, selects the space object itself.
I just think that is more practical to choose the space label directly in the popup in the OIP of the space itself (at VW 22), but now, you must choose in the selector panel that opens from the OIP of the tag.

Captura de Tela 2023-01-13 às 18.52.19.png