Update Smart Option Display to be more process inclusive.

hollister design Studio

Question

I love the Smart Options Display - I have it mapped to the "1" key and use it often.

I have it set to tool options, previous tools, views and snapping.

• I always use 'tool options'
  • I love using 'snapping' to quickly suspend and reset snapping.
  • I never use 'views' because the number keys are too convenient - but could see this being helpful on a macbook...
  • but 'previous tools' is almost useless as the definition of 'tool' is so limited.

One "tool" I use often is the Align/Distribute tool - unfortunately it doesn't show up on my Smart Options Display under "previous tools"

I understand this isn't officially a tool -but Align/Distribute also doesn't show up under right click "previous commands".

Neither does 'send to surface' or 'clip surface'.

Nor any of the scripts that wonderful people on this forum have created and that make my life so much easier - I would love to have them right at hand!

Maybe a quick fix to add things like clip surface would be to make "previous command" an option for one corner of the SOD

You can create a custom toolset in the Workspace Editor and add any tools you want, and then set the toolset as one of the SOD options.  I’ve set up two toolsets, one for all the wall related tools, and one for my commonly used tools whose key commands I can’t memorize. 

I have not tried to include align/distribute. However, you might find this third party plugin useful: http://www.vectorbits.org/blog/?portfolio=quick-align

• Like 3
On 12/1/2022 at 5:50 PM, hollister design Studio said:

Neither does 'send to surface' or 'clip surface'.

Nor any of the scripts that wonderful people on this forum have created and that make my life so much easier - I would love to have them right at hand!

Add the commands to the context clicks in the workspace editor. Create shortcuts for scripts and do the same thing.

SOD for tools / modes / snapping modes.

Right click for commands.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

I know it's not quite the same (but almost) are you aware that the Align/Distribute commands are already there in the right click contextual menu? As well, depending what you are doing the Add Surface (etc) and Add Solids (etc) commands are also in each workspace in the contextual menu by default?

Also the SOD is already mapped to the Space bar which I find is easier to get to rather than another key. I do turn off the default option to appear after 10 seconds of idling so I only see it when I hit the bar.

Cheers,

Peter

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 6.17.45 pm.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

Also the SOD is already mapped to the Space bar which I find is easier to get to rather than another key.

The great thing about the space bar (other than being a bear claw sized target) is that it's ambidextrous, so both right-handed and left-handed users can keep their other hand on the mouse, which is especially helpful for tool modes (while a user is drawing a poly with multiple bezier modes) or if they forgot to suspend snapping before they started drawing.

10 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

I do turn off the default option to appear after 10 seconds of idling so I only see it when I hit the bar.

Same but that animation time is excruciating. Is there any way to make that zero latency? Every time I smash the space bar, I feel like that guy in Interstellar that spent 24 years waiting for the rest of the crew playing in the waves for 7 minutes.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Same but that animation time is excruciating. Is there any way to make that zero latency? Every time I smash the space bar, I feel like that guy in Interstellar that spent 24 years waiting for the rest of the crew playing in the waves for 7 minutes.

So agree with this ^^^^^

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

the SOD is already mapped to the Space bar which I find is easier to get to rather than another key

I have SOD mapped to the '1' key - I use the space bar for navigation.

I use a Wacom and came from years of 3D modeling and want the navigation to be as close as possible to a 3D modeling program like Maya or Max... 

• MMB+ctrl for rotating.
  • MMB+spacebar for zoom.
  • Spacebar for pan.

I honestly would love the SOD to be as full features as heads-up menus on the 3D software too!

Maya has EVEYTHING on the hot box - and it alters depending on what workspace you're in - so fast and convenient!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

I honestly would love the SOD to be as full features as heads-up menus on the 3D software too!

No that you said.

It is just that I have a modified Basic Tool Bar in my Workspace.

Everything reordered and it also contains all 3D Tools that I need.

It is docked at the bottom and spans the whole screen.

So this is also what I get in SOD.

But as everything is also easily available from the Bottom of my Screen ....

I rarely use the SOD

🙂

(Although I use the QUAD in Bricscad all the time. But this is highly context sensitive,

contains last used Commands, Commands that make most sense in context plus

includes 6 bottom Tabs that will include 10-30 more exotic but necessary Tool Icons.

Also there would be an AI option, if you send usage data, which would optimize

Tool presentation to your personal needs and workflows over time.

But I have not tried that so far)

9 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I'd be curious to hear if a single soul actually uses this idle feature.

It’s the same person on an 11” MacBook Air that makes their Attributes palette as narrow as possible and loves the text size in palettes.

I would venture the number of users that ignore the SOD when it pops up after idling is second only to the number of users that ignore autosave nags (instead of disabling them in VW Prefs).

54 minutes ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

Hello,

If you mean by 'Navigation' the Pan tool, the space bar does both by default. Pan and SOD.

Cheers,

Peter

VW can also use MMB to pan which is what I do. Makes SOD less conflicting with spacebar.

I wish VW could do Shift+MMB for flyover because Shift is an easier target on a Mac keyboard layout than Control. Or spacebar+MMB? What does that do?

14 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

...or spacebar+MMB? What does that do?

I use that for zoom (or dolly) but I'm not sure if that's stock or something I set somewhere...

Just checked... that's completely wrong!

I use Crtl+Spacebar for zoom like everyone else...

And MMB by itself for Pan - I have my first button on my wacom set to MMB so it's just click the pen button and drag to pan.

And MMB+ctrl for Flyover - again with wacom just click the pen button and hit Ctrl to tumble.

Edited by hollister design Studio
  • Like 1

@Peter Neufeld. I tried the spacebar as both Pan and SOD and found it just incredibly awkward - I really do not understanding how anyone can make that work!

I don't have time for the idle.

And I use the spacebar for Pan and Zoom(+MMB)   See above...

@Mark Aceto if you map it to a key there is no idle time - the moment I hit the '1' key the SOD pops up.

If you press the mapped key, it turns on instantly, and if you hit the key again it goes off - very clean.

An update so that it doesn't auto-shutoff if you move outside the hitbox area would be much appreciated.

...I've gotten better at not "overshooting" the menu and having it disappear - but I still do this at least a couple of times an hour.

Edited by hollister design Studio
correction
18 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

if you map it to a key there is no idle time - the moment I hit the '1' key the SOD pops up.

If you press the mapped key, it turns on instantly, and if you hit the key again it goes off - very clean.

I wouldn't say it pops up instantly. It does a little emerging-from-the-centre animation thing which I would be happier turning off given the option. In contrast, when you right-click to bring up context or document menu it really does appear instantly + you can wave your cursor around to your heart's content + it stays there!

@hollister design Studio – There's two different things being talked about. One is the "animation" which causes a very slight delay whenever SOD is activated. Many of us would like that removed so that the quadrants appear instantaneously.

The other is the setting that makes SOD appear automatically after 10 seconds of mouse idle. This setting is on by default, but I can't imagine a scenario where any user is just sitting there, and then after a while the four icons appear and the user is like "oh yes this is what I wanted, thank you."

I've actually seen numerous people complain about the four icons constantly appearing, and when I show them the SOD Settings where they can uncheck "Show after mouse idles" it makes them very happy. I wish this were unchecked by default. It's just a silly feature to even exist, IMO.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, hollister design Studio said:

And MMB+ctrl for Flyover - again with wacom just click the pen button and hit Ctrl to tumble.

I do that too.

(Great that Wacom Pen's 2 Buttons allow for a real middle mouse button !)

But how do you Zoom with your Wacom!? - "about mouse" ... ahm better .... Pen Cursor !

"Zoom about Mouse Cursor",

by Mice, usually done by Scroll Wheel,

was one of the greatest inventions in the 90ies (?) for View Navigation.

Just Scroll and Reposition your Mouse to super fast switch from one detail

of your drawing to another detail on the opposite side of your drawing.

Fast and intuitive.

But with Wacom Pen Input there is no real Scroll Wheel Effect at all,

and Wacom Remote's Sensor Wheel is faaaaaaar from being any substitute.

(even 3DConnexion Space Navigator is a bit better - even in 2D - but still

so far away from a real Scroll Wheel)

I any other CAD or 3D Apps i am able to get an alternative for Zoom (about

Cursor !) without the need of a Scroll Wheel,

just by using one of the 3 Mouse Buttons, when pressing a certain Key.

But not In VW .....

(I am aware of having said this already over and over again before,

during the last decade ....)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

@zoomer When I moved over to VW I was appalled at the complexities for simple navigation!

Maya   Tumble/flyover - Alt+LMB       |   Track/Pan - Alt+MMB                    |  Dolly/Zoom  Alt+RMB        ONE modifier key plus one mouse button for each - simple.

VW      Tumble/flyover - Ctrl+MMB    |   Track/Pan - MMB  OR Spacebar   |  Dolly/Zoom  Ctrl+Spacebar+LMB

Now VW seems to work for me (although I hate the awkward flyover 'center of focus' options.)

...that is until I'm in the middle of a meeting and I forget which key chord is which!

I think in Modo ....

Rotate/Flyover was ALT+LMB,

Drag ALT+SHIFT+LMB

and Zoom (about cursor) ALT+CTRL+LMB

Worked perfect by Wacom Pen Input.

I have to admit, currently use my Wacom Cintiq 27" as a monitor only, upright.

When I use it in Pen Mode, it lays flat on my desk and I lay with my arms on it.

As it has huge bezels, there is basically no way to comfortably access any

keyboard beside it.

So for view navigation I usually have the Wacom Remote in my left hand,

which gives my all usual Option Keys like ALT, SHIFT, .....

18 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

VW Dolly/Zoom  Ctrl+Spacebar+LMB

I think I often tried all available VW Zoom option alternatives and could somehow

Zoom with my Pan - but AFAIK never found a comparable Zoom-about-Cursor

Zoom for Pen Input that way.

Bricscad is not perfect for Pen Input either.

But at least my drag+MMB Wacom Scrolling function, that I use for Browsers,

works as a Zoom there.

18 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

Now VW seems to work for me (although I hate the awkward flyover 'center of focus' options.)

That is already a great pain for 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices.

Those "Fly-Over" for me in any other App, just like a Rotate View by Mouse,

just in VW, Space Mouse Center will always just be on File Origin ....

(And I'll get ill by Walk or Helicopter mode and such things)

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 10:13 AM, Tom W. said:

I wouldn't say it pops up instantly. It does a little emerging-from-the-centre animation thing which I would be happier turning off given the option. In contrast, when you right-click to bring up context or document menu it really does appear instantly + you can wave your cursor around to your heart's content + it stays there!

Yeah, I just tested assigning a hotkey, "S". No difference.

I also tried to force it with a macOS Sys Pref setting (Accessibility / Reduce motion which does exactly what we're describing here but on a system level) but there was no difference. I imagine it's hard-coded into VW, and an engineer would have to rewrite that animation time (or create a new UI element to give users control).

663623314_ScreenShot2022-12-10at15_33_37.png.f29edd44718daaa5c77885aca27890fc.png

6 hours ago, zoomer said:

That is already a great pain for 3DConnexion Space Mouse devices.

Those "Fly-Over" for me in any other App, just like a Rotate View by Mouse,

just in VW, Space Mouse Center will always just be on File Origin ....

(And I'll get ill by Walk or Helicopter mode and such things)

Another example of VW—and, to be fair, 3DC—getting it mostly functional in 2017 or 2018, and then abandoning it before it became fully functional (and on par with other 3D design apps). How many of us have a 3DC Spacemouse sitting in a drawer, waiting for the magical day it will be useful to us for 3D modeling? And as for that advertised “6 degrees of freedom”… not holding my breath for VW to add roll functionality.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

How many of us have a 3DC Spacemouse sitting in a drawer, waiting for the magical day it will be useful to us for 3D modeling?

I love my SpaceMouse but I find it so temperamental. It's working fine on VW2022 but I rely on being able to use the 'Switch Navigation' command to set it to:

1939429738_Screenshot2022-12-11at08_10_20.png.801c58919a900f654b712f7d49ce1593.png

(I have 'Switch Navigation' mapped to the MMB on my CadMouse Pro).

And in VW2023 this isn't working: for some reason the MMB is giving me 'Fit to Objects' instead. So I checked what driver I was on + I was two versions behind so I updated to the most recent version + things were even worse: none of my macros were working either. So back to the old driver + no 'Switch Navigation' in VW2023 which basically means I can't use the SpaceMouse for navigation in the way I'm used to because I have no way of setting the target object (the point of origin is permanently set to the Internal Origin).

• Like 2