Worksheet Question - How to have it list "Name" of "Location" in a column?

yasin2ray

Question

I often use the Location criteria in a worksheet database row. There must be a way to display the "Name" of the Location of things in a worksheet column. The program already understands Location and the Name of locations. What do I put in the cell to get the column to display the Name of various Locations?

See the attachment for an example of worksheet criteria.

Please tell me Vw can do this!!

Anna

How to show Name of Location in worksheet column.jpg

22 answers to this question

It can't really do what you want.

A "Location" is actually just a test to see if a given object "overlaps" with another Named object. This data is not stored with the object and has to be recalculated every time the worksheet is recalculated, for every object in the database criteria. This is likely to be very slow.

Also, what should be returned in you have two named objects that overlap and an object falls within them both? That object is in both locations. Should it return both of them? Only the first? Only the second? What about a third overlapping Loc?

It can probably be done with a worksheet script similar to the IsLoc script I send you a while ago, but it will be much longer and more complicated.

Think about what you really need and post it and I will consider if I have the time and energy to work on it.

Perhaps a better way would be to have a script that would take a LOC (or multiple LOCs) and assign a record to all of the objects in that LOC that you could then query in a worksheet. It won't be automatic and you will have to re-run the script if you add new objects or move things between LOCs, but at least it won't run every time the WS is recalculated.

Would you be willing to assign a Record (or use a single class) for all of your LOC objects? That could simplify what needs to be done and prevent having to test every object in the drawing against every other object in the drawing.

26 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

It can't really do what you want.

A "Location" is actually just a test to see if a given object "overlaps" with another Named object. This data is not stored with the object and has to be recalculated every time the worksheet is recalculated, for every object in the database criteria. This is likely to be very slow.

Also, what should be returned in you have two named objects that overlap and an object falls within them both? That object is in both locations. Should it return both of them? Only the first? Only the second? What about a third overlapping Loc?

It can probably be done with a worksheet script similar to the IsLoc script I send you a while ago, but it will be much longer and more complicated.

Think about what you really need and post it and I will consider if I have the time and energy to work on it.

Perhaps a better way would be to have a script that would take a LOC (or multiple LOCs) and assign a record to all of the objects in that LOC that you could then query in a worksheet. It won't be automatic and you will have to re-run the script if you add new objects or move things between LOCs, but at least it won't run every time the WS is recalculated.

Would you be willing to assign a Record (or use a single class) for all of your LOC objects? That could simplify what needs to be done and prevent having to test every object in the drawing against every other object in the drawing.

Pat,

Here's the situation: Things either (1) won't fall into multiple query areas or (2) will fall into more than one query area but only query areas of different types.

We have two query types: Outfall Drainage Area and Reference Zone.

I'd love to have one column titled Outfall Drainage Area and the answers below are the names (could be 1, 2, 3) and another column for Reference Zone and the response below could be EZ1, EZ2, IZ1, IZ2, etc.

I do use the IsLoc script you made for me!!!!

The issue with it is that it outputs an X in the column for it's Location. So I have to have one column per possible location. That takes up a lot of space side to side. I'd love to be able to display the name of the location and use 1 column for it. (or two columns for two different types of locations)

THANKS!

Anna

Try this one. It will check each object to find those that are in either of two LOCs specified in the WS Formula and return the same name of the LOC as you specified.

The formula you will need will be something like:

=RunScript('WhichLoc', 'Outfall Drainage Area', 'Reference Zone')

The object defining the area MUST have exactly the same name as what you put inside the quotes for each name. What is inside the quotes for each name is what will be returned in the cell for an object in either area. If the object is not in either area it will return an empty cell.

Paste the following text into a new blank Script giving it a name of WhichLoc.

Procedure WhichLoc;
{Decemeber 1, 2022}
{©2022 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{No Warranty Expressed of Implied. Use at your own risk.}

VAR	Result1, Result2	:	Real;
	NameOfLoc1, NameOfLoc2, CriteriaToEvaluate: String;
	WSSubrowObjHand		: Handle;

BEGIN
	WSSubrowObjHand:=WSScript_GetObject;
	NameOfLoc1:=WSScript_GetPrmStr(0);
	NameOfLoc2:=WSScript_GetPrmStr(1);
	CriteriaToEvaluate:=Concat('((LOC=',NameOfLoc1,'))');
	Result1:=Eval(WSSubrowObjHand, CriteriaToEvaluate);

CriteriaToEvaluate:=Concat('((LOC=',NameOfLoc2,'))');
	Result2:=Eval(WSSubrowObjHand, CriteriaToEvaluate);

WSScript_SetResStr('');
	If Result1=1 Then WSScript_SetResStr(NameOfLoc1);
	If Result2=1 Then WSScript_SetResStr(NameOfLoc2);
End;

Run(WhichLoc);

Ask again if you need more information.

50 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Try this one. It will check each object to find those that are in either of two LOCs specified in the WS Formula and return the same name of the LOC as you specified.

The object defining the area MUST have exactly the same name as what you put inside the quotes for each name. What is inside the quotes for each name is what will be returned in the cell for an object in either area. If the object is not in either area it will return an empty cell.

Procedure WhichLoc;
{Decemeber 1, 2022}

BEGIN

WSScript_SetResStr('');
End;

Run(WhichLoc);

Thanks!

I see I didn't explain the two "locations" well enough but your explanation of how to edit it should get me through. I'll let you know how it goes!

On 12/1/2022 at 6:56 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Ask if you need more clarity.

Hi Pat,

I have some questions. How would you make each of these?
I need to turn your WhichLoc script into two scripts: WhichLoc_Outfall Drainage Area and WhichLoc_Reference Zone.

The possible Outfall Drainage Area locations are:

query Outfall 1 Area

query Outfall 2 Area

query Outfall 3 Area

The possible Reference Zones are:

EZ1

EZ2

EZ3

IZ1

IZ2

IZ3

IZ4

IZ5

IZ6

IZ7

IZ8

IZ9

IZ10

IZ11

Is it possible to have the results return the names without telling it what the possible names are? Can I instead set criteria such as class and layer and it looks at the Name of objects meeting those requirements (class and layer)?

Edited by yasin2ray
1 hour ago, yasin2ray said:

Is it possible to have the results return the names without telling it what the possible names are? Can I instead set criteria such as class and layer and it looks at the Name of objects meeting those requirements (class and layer)?

Almost anything is possible. It is just a question of time, money, and desire. 😉

If I am reading you correctly, Outfalls and References are completely different things, but you just happen to what to generate the same kind of name list for each of them.

If you put all of your Outfalls into a single Layer/Class combination, then yes, we should be able to gather the names of each Outfall based on the objects in that combination. But you will have to make sure that ONLY the Outfall areas are in that combination.  The same for the References.

Do you actually want different columns for the Outfall and the Reference? Or do you want them interspersed in the same column?

One of the reasons I sometimes don't answer questions like this is that "scope creep" always comes once you see what can be done. 😉

On 12/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Almost anything is possible. It is just a question of time, money, and desire. 😉

If I am reading you correctly, Outfalls and References are completely different things, but you just happen to what to generate the same kind of name list for each of them.

If you put all of your Outfalls into a single Layer/Class combination, then yes, we should be able to gather the names of each Outfall based on the objects in that combination. But you will have to make sure that ONLY the Outfall areas are in that combination.  The same for the References.

Do you actually want different columns for the Outfall and the Reference? Or do you want them interspersed in the same column?

One of the reasons I sometimes don't answer questions like this is that "scope creep" always comes once you see what can be done. 😉

I understand.

For now, it would be fine to keep the two "Locations" separate: a column for Outfall location, a column for Reference Zone location.

Additionally, it could be one columns and the result would produce "Outfall location, Reference Zone location" (a comma between the two). - But I would want to see the other two individual ones as well. This would be in addition to those so I can how it all plays out and decide what works best.

What are you thinking now?

Try this one.

I extrapolated a little bit.  It will compare every item in the database to every named object in the Layer and Class combination that you pass in the parameters for the script. So this one script should handle both your zones and outfalls by just changing the layer and class specified as containing the LOC objects.

The attached file has a sample.  The brown and green rectangles are in the Outfall class. The rounded rectangles are in the Zones class. The lines and the ovals are in the Objects class. The database has a criteria of Class is Objects.

Put the script in a database header row cell using a formula like:

=RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer-Class','YourLayerName','YourClassName')

HTH

Procedure LocNameByLayerClass;

{December 7, 2022}

{No Warranty Expressed or Implied. Use at your own risk.}

{worksheet script to return the name of the LOC an object is in.}
{This script checks a Layer and Class combination for possible LOC objects. Must be named.}
{It then checks if the object in the current database subrow}
{is in that LOC. If it is, it returns the name of the LOC. If not it returns blank.}

{Overlapping LOCs will return whichever object happens to evaluate last.}

{Run using a WS formula of =RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer-Class','YourLayerName','YourClassName')}

CONST	SQ = CHR(39);

VAR		ThisObject					:Handle;
		ThisClass, ThisLayer		:String;
		ClassCriteria, LocCriteria	:String;
		ThisResult					:Real;

PROCEDURE GetCheckLocObject(Hd1:Handle);
VAR		LocName						:String;
BEGIN
	LocName:=GetName(Hd1);
	If LocName <> '' THEN
		BEGIN
			LocCriteria:=Concat('((LOC=',LocName,'))');
			ThisResult:=Eval(ThisObject, LocCriteria);
			If ThisResult=1 then WSScript_SetResStr(LocName);
		End;
End;

Begin
	ThisObject:=WSScript_GetObject;
	ThisLayer:=WSScript_GetPrmStr(0);
	ThisClass:=WSScript_GetPrmStr(1);
	ClassCriteria:=Concat('((L=',SQ,ThisLayer,SQ,') & (C=',SQ,ThisClass,SQ,') & (N<>',SQ,SQ,'))');
	ForEachObject(GetCheckLocObject, ClassCriteria);
End;

Run(LocNameByLayerClass);

Return Loc Name Defined By Layer and Class.vwx

On 12/7/2022 at 6:51 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Try this one.

I extrapolated a little bit.  It will compare every item in the database to every named object in the Layer and Class combination that you pass in the parameters for the script. So this one script should handle both your zones and outfalls by just changing the layer and class specified as containing the LOC objects.

The attached file has a sample.  The brown and green rectangles are in the Outfall class. The rounded rectangles are in the Zones class. The lines and the ovals are in the Objects class. The database has a criteria of Class is Objects.

Put the script in a database header row cell using a formula like:

=RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer-Class','YourLayerName','YourClassName')

HTH

Procedure LocNameByLayerClass;

{December 7, 2022}

{worksheet script to return the name of the LOC an object is in.}
{This script checks a Layer and Class combination for possible LOC objects. Must be named.}
{It then checks if the object in the current database subrow}
{is in that LOC. If it is, it returns the name of the LOC. If not it returns blank.}

{Overlapping LOCs will return whichever object happens to evaluate last.}

{Run using a WS formula of =RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer-Class','YourLayerName','YourClassName')}

CONST	SQ = CHR(39);

ClassCriteria, LocCriteria	:String;

BEGIN
	If LocName <> '' THEN
		BEGIN
		End;
End;

Begin
	ClassCriteria:=Concat('((L=',SQ,ThisLayer,SQ,') & (C=',SQ,ThisClass,SQ,') & (N<>',SQ,SQ,'))');
	ForEachObject(GetCheckLocObject, ClassCriteria);
End;

Run(LocNameByLayerClass);

Return Loc Name Defined By Layer and Class.vwx 89 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Pat,

This is getting confusing. This one won't work for the way I have things set up. Ref Zones and Outfall areas are on different classes that define their attributes. Can I somehow send you a file with an example of my objects (they are symbols) and the various Outfall Drainage Areas they might fall within (one outfall area per object/symbol), and Reference Zones (one reference zone per object/symbol)?

Does this explanation help you understand what I'm trying to achieve?

I'm thinking the WhichLoc script might be the way to go. I would need to separate it into two scripts though, one for each column/location. I would use WhichLocOutfallArea for the column that lists which Outfall Area an object (symbol, set in row Criteria) exists within. I would use WhichLocRefZone for the column that lists which Reference Zone an object (symbol, set in row Criteria) exists within.

What do you think?

THANKS!

Anna

Edited by yasin2ray
On 12/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Pat,

I need a solution as soon as possible. Is this something tech support could help with? There needs to be a way for Vw to do this (and one that doesn't require me to pay for it).

I just reread this part of what you wrote. This would be an option as well. I'd love to try it if you made the script. Would I then just need to add a field to the record format that's already attached to the objects (symbols)?

Anna

On 12/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Procedure WhichLoc;
{Decemeber 1, 2022}

BEGIN

WSScript_SetResStr('');
End;

Run(WhichLoc);

Pat,

I'm trying the WhichLoc script and it's not working at all. I see you said I need to have the names of possible areas in the cell. Do I need to make any changes to the script text itself? Does the script text need to same names of areas in it?

Thanks!

Anna

On 12/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, yasin2ray said:

This is getting confusing. This one won't work for the way I have things set up. Ref Zones and Outfall areas are on different classes that define their attributes. Can I somehow send you a file with an example of my objects (they are symbols) and the various Outfall Drainage Areas they might fall within (one outfall area per object/symbol), and Reference Zones (one reference zone per object/symbol)?

Does this explanation help you understand what I'm trying to achieve?

The LocNameByLayer-Class does what you want.

You specify a worksheet database with criteria that returns all of the objects that might be in your Outfalls or Reference Zones.

You then put in a formula similar to:

=RunScript('Name that you saved the script with', 'Actual name of the layer your Loc objects are on', 'Actual name of the class your Loc Objects are in')

The script will then return the Name of the Loc object in the specified Layer and Class that the object is in. Or if it is not in a Loc object with that Layer and Class it will return a blank cell.

So you put the RunScript formula into two database header row cells. In one you put the Layer and Class of the Outfall Loc objects. In the second you put the Layer and Class of the Reference Zone objects.

Or Post or DM me a file and I will make it work.

54 minutes ago, yasin2ray said:

I'm trying the WhichLoc script and it's not working at all. I see you said I need to have the names of possible areas in the cell. Do I need to make any changes to the script text itself? Does the script text need to same names of areas in it?

WhichLoc returns the name of which of two different Loc object an object is in. Yes, as part of the parameters you have to specify the name of the two Loc objects you want to check for.

I don't think it will do at all what you want now that you have explained your need better.

5 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

The LocNameByLayer-Class does what you want.

You specify a worksheet database with criteria that returns all of the objects that might be in your Outfalls or Reference Zones.

You then put in a formula similar to:

=RunScript('Name that you saved the script with', 'Actual name of the layer your Loc objects are on', 'Actual name of the class your Loc Objects are in')

The script will then return the Name of the Loc object in the specified Layer and Class that the object is in. Or if it is not in a Loc object with that Layer and Class it will return a blank cell.

So you put the RunScript formula into two database header row cells. In one you put the Layer and Class of the Outfall Loc objects. In the second you put the Layer and Class of the Reference Zone objects.

Or Post or DM me a file and I will make it work.

The layer-class script won't work because my query/zones are one per class (to define attributes). If it were LocNamebyLayer, that would work. Just not class.

Anna

This returns the Loc object name based on only the Layer the object is in and that it has a name.

The WS formula is something like:  =RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer', 'Design Layer-1')

This assumes you make a script named LocNameByLayer and paste in the following script:

Procedure LocNameByLayer;

{December 15, 2022}

CONST	SQ = CHR(39);

LayerCriteria, LocCriteria	:String;

BEGIN
	If LocName <> '' THEN
		BEGIN
		End;

End;

Begin
	LayerCriteria:=Concat('((L=',SQ,ThisLayer,SQ,') & (N<>',SQ,SQ,'))');
	ForEachObject(GetCheckLocObject, LayerCriteria);
End;

Run(LocNameByLayer);

17 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

This returns the Loc object name based on only the Layer the object is in and that it has a name.

The WS formula is something like:  =RUNSCRIPT('LocNameByLayer', 'Design Layer-1')

This assumes you make a script named LocNameByLayer and paste in the following script:

Procedure LocNameByLayer;

{December 15, 2022}

CONST	SQ = CHR(39);

LayerCriteria, LocCriteria	:String;

BEGIN
	If LocName <> '' THEN
		BEGIN
		End;

End;

Begin
	LayerCriteria:=Concat('((L=',SQ,ThisLayer,SQ,') & (N<>',SQ,SQ,'))');
	ForEachObject(GetCheckLocObject, LayerCriteria);
End;

Run(LocNameByLayer);

It's not working! I don't know what's wrong!

I need clarification on this statement: I do not need to make any changes to the text inside the script. Correct?

Anna

You should not need to change anything inside the script.

What is the name of the Layer that you have your Outfall objects on?  Do you have objects on that layer that show names at the bottom of the OIP?

What is the name of the script showing in the script palette?

DM me a file showing Outfall objects, Zone objects, the objects you want to report on, and a worksheet/database that lists those objects.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You should not need to change anything inside the script.

What is the name of the Layer that you have your Outfall objects on?  Do you have objects on that layer that show names at the bottom of the OIP?

What is the name of the script showing in the script palette?

DM me a file showing Outfall objects, Zone objects, the objects you want to report on, and a worksheet/database that lists those objects.

Pat,

I made this file for you. It has a real example from the project I'm working on. There is a note to you on the Notes layer, none class.

THANKS! I hope we can get this working. The way Vw worksheets work for this kind of info (without a fancy addition like a script) is not at all ideal.

Anna

Futurity-Arbetter_trying to get location name into worksheet columns.vwx