Renderworks sky

gov_colin

I've never had a problem using the sky background in Renderworks before, in fact I prefer it to photoshopping a sky in afterwards because of its effects on textures. However after turning it on and off, it has become in front of the actual building model, and thus has resulted in a batch of batch renderings of just the sky.

Is there an explaination for this?

Thanks

Colin

Ah, i didn't realize that the background was assigned to a specific layer. I'm not sure how to check what layer it's on, but I'm pretty sure it's on my main link, which is on the top.

Would you suggest I make a seperate layer exclusively for the background and drop it below the link layer?

Hang on... I want to make sure I understand what is going on. Do you have a desighn layer that you created just for the background? Or is there an object in one of your design layers that you created to use as a background? Where is the "sheet of black"? Is it an object you created? Could you delete the object? Then the RW's background will be the only background...

Cipes .. you have a way of gettin to the heart of things ; )

and Gov ... rest assured..we've all been down this same road more than once ... sittin there scratchin' wonderin what tha ??? happened this time ... I spent the better part of a day doing a complex Final rendering only to discover that the thing was set to render only the screen view and not set up to render All Visible Objects ! I ended up with a worthless close-up of part of a window wall with lots and lots of reflected sky. Batch rendering is great as long as you check every thing twice before pushin that darn little send-it-to-processor button.

Thanks, I had never noticed the background control tab in the layer management menu. Seems to work fine, except....

The layer that the bakground is on is now blacked out by the non-background model layer, and therefore the sky is covered up by a sheet of black.

Does what I am describing make sense? Or do I have a distorted view of whats really happening?

BTW, I have never had a problem with a background being on the same layer as the model, so this all is a little discouraging to me.

?

Let me first start off by saying I appreciate all the help with my crazy ramblings.

Cipes-

They type of background I've created is a simple renderworks 2-tone background which, in my experience, automatically sets itself to the background of the model layer that I would work on (in this case a link of different floor plans). However for some reason it didn't behave correctly, and it set itself in FRONT of my perspective shots.

After listening to the very kind ISLANDMON, I tried seperating the background to its own layer, moving that layer to below my link layer, making the layer visiblilities "show others," and then rendered. This then resulted in my model being rendered fine, but with no background. This lead to my idea that the lack of a background in my link layer was actually covering up the rendered sky on the layer below it (hense the infamous "black background" theory). The black thing isn't an object so much as it is the lack of a background on a layer. Let me reiterate that I DON'T USUALLY HAVE TO SEPERATE BACKGROUNDS ON LAYERS, but for some reason when I keep it on the same layer it covers up my link layer rendering, which by the way is on the very top o' the stack.

...maybe it's just broken or something.

Ok..now that we are all thoroughly confused ; ) Let's move on to a Sheet layer and create a ViewPort for the various layers in questions and render from there making sure to select the show background tab. But before we do that we must go to Preferences>Display> and de-select "Black background'.