Scan to BIM, Robotic Imaging, Point Cloud Scanning providers

leecalisti

Does anyone (in the USA) work with anyone who can deliver a native Vectorworks model from laser scanning? I've read many of you who do your own, but I'm looking for a third-party or consultant that offers to Vectorworks users with a true VW model (walls, doors, windows). @LudovicChoquette 

If so, who are they, have you used them, what were the results?

I just got off the phone from a company making cold call sales, but they offer to larger firms with that "other" BIM software. (https://www.roboticimaging.com/)

What about us in small or solo-practitioner firms (like me)?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, leecalisti said:

Does anyone (in the USA) work with anyone who can deliver a native Vectorworks model from laser scanning? I've read many of you who do your own, but I'm looking for a third-party or consultant that offers to Vectorworks users with a true VW model (walls, doors, windows).

You likely have two options.

1. Hire the company that produces in Revit and import into Vectorworks.  That will get you native walls, doors, windows, etc.

2. Hire someone from the forum and have the project produced in Vectorworks.

I've never seen a US 3rd party/service bureau offer native Vectorworks service, especially with scanning.  The Autodesk workflow is ubiquitous, reliable, and affordable.

@jeff prince Thank you for the clear advice. I'd love a step by step tutorial, but I also think your suggestion to hire someone from the Forum is a great idea. I'm willing to do that, but I'd also be willing to pay them to teach me too.

This goes off topic from this thread, but it's related. If you recall from another post by other forum user, importing from Revit into Vectorworks and getting native walls, doors, and other elements still proves to be unsuccessful for me. It is the same going from Vectorworks to Revit. All I get is a 'Revit Object' that remains as a thing, an object, or a solid/mesh. That conversation didn't yield a result for me past "figure it out." As a VW user since 1995, I still cannot figure it out. I've watched the videos for IFC as well, but it seems something is missing. I don't have or know Revit, so I cannot determine from my MEP engineers what is actually happening on their side during importation of files. Once I know how to do something in VW, I am clear going forward.

Going to Export > Export IFC Project or even Export > Revit (3D Geometry Only) doesn't work for me.

As an experiment, I just tried to import a Revit Door Object (from CADdetails) to test importing a simple object like a door. It comes in as a solid object or mesh. VW doesn't give me the choice to import it as a parametric object. I'm lost and frustrated unless I stay safely within the world of Vectorworks.

• Like 1