Insert Connection on Angled Truss

Hamish

Hello!

Is there a way to insert a connection between a Pipe and an ANGLED truss?

I have several raked trusses in my plan and have pipes sat accross them horizontally at 90 degrees for lights to out rig from. I would (obviously) like to connect these to the truss for load calculations however when trying to use the insert connection tool i get the error "Tilted rigging objects can't be stacked"

I can use the insert drop tool however thats not how the pipes are being attached.

My annoying work around is to group the pipe and lights together (for easy selection) and putting an equivelent point load on the truss but i have to remember to deselect the groups when performing calculations (slightly tedious when there's 12 of these spread out through the drawing)

Thanks!

Hamish

Angled Truss 1.PNG

Angled Truss 2.PNG

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Up...

I have the same problem with some lasers.
I'm just draw on project, but after that for calculations I use a [Rigging Tools] -> "Rigging Load" with the weight insert manually, in the same point of the fixtures will be to hang.

I think we don't have another way for now 😞

Edited by Cristiano Alves
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently this is a basic limitation of Braceworks, the reason behind it is that none of the clamp manufacturers could or would provide us with structural data for how the clamps behaved when not used horizontally.

There is a work around (kinda),
create a hanging position combing the truss and attached pipes, this will enable it to calculate, though I'm not 100% sure about how accurate the calculation will be

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ah I've just retested this workaround and it looks like it no longer works, sorry for the mistake.

Instead you will have to add a point load to represent the load of the pipe acting on the angled truss.

• Like 1