Which user/workgroup folder does CC look at for devices?

I can probably figure this out with a bunch of guess-and-check and restarting, but I'll try a more direct route!

I have a file with all of my pre-formatted and configured devices, and want to store it in my communal workgroup folder. 

When I select the device tool, and use the symbol mode, I can select a folder location from the window that pops up. Where should I put my device file so it appears here, rather than just opening it or favoriting it?

I am sure someone on the CC team will answer, but I think it is in Libraries:Defaults:ConnectCAD:Device.

You should be able to drop a standard VWX file containing your devices into that path within the Workgroup Folder and they should be seen and useable.

You may need to restart VW after adding the file as I think VW only checks on original opening.  Or it may only take a click on Refresh Libraries from the Gear Icon in the Resource Manager. I can never remember which.

image.png.3d91699550697da2c53ba1d77d1f2253.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @livespace josha,

Currently we do not have any default content with device symbols and there is no specific location that the tool can import symbols from. So for now you will have to proceed with the favorites workaround. I will create an enhancement request about this so that we can consider it. Thanks for your feedback! 🙂

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, wscooper said:

Is this implemented yet?

Workgroup support for custom devices, cable types and connectors would be most useful.

Just tried, appears it is!

Although it appears to be read only?

- Hello @wscooper,

Yes, workgroup data cannot be edited from within vectorworks. If you want to set up workgroup data you can first add it as user folder data and then move the created file from the user folder to the workgroup folder.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/6/2023 at 7:03 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Yes, workgroup data cannot be edited from within vectorworks.

For clarification, Nikolay are you referring only to ConnectCAD data? Because I can open files that are stored in my Workgroup folder, edit, then save them in-place.

Even so, editing files saved in the Workgroup folder might be bad practice because a) it might prevent other user's from browsing this file's content while it is open, and b) if all users of the Workgroup folder did this practice then two user's might edit it at the same time. 

5 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

For clarification, Nikolay are you referring only to ConnectCAD data? Because I can open files that are stored in my Workgroup folder, edit, then save them in-place.

Even so, editing files saved in the Workgroup folder might be bad practice because a) it might prevent other user's from browsing this file's content while it is open, and b) if all users of the Workgroup folder did this practice then two user's might edit it at the same time. 

- I was referring to ConnectCAD data as it is stored in txt files and not vwx files and we provide UI in Vectorworks to edit these files in the user folder directly from Vectorworks without having to open these files in text editor and having to know how to edit/format them.