VW 2023 Color Index

ashot

Question 1) Is there a script to show Color Index for VW colors from a particular Color Palette. Also a script to convert RGB to Index or Index to RGB.

It is usefull to use Tools > Utilities > Create Color Chart to show the index number.
However it shows numbers only for Active Document Palette.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to get Index Numbers  for Standard Colors for example, without bringing colors one by one into Active document?

Question 2) Is there a way to bring many colors into Active document at once? We can make a copy of Standard Color Palette and then delete colors we don't want, but can we delete several colors at once?

Hi Ashot,

I got your email also.

What exactly are you trying to do/return?  Color palettes are not especially scriptable. What "Color Index" are you looking for? The location in the 256 square palette?

I don't think a script can access anything other than the Document Palette.

It might be possible to script a way to click on an object and then report the Color Index, but it will depend on what you mean by color index. I think there is an internal "color index" that is not the same as the palette position.

More detail about what you need and why please.

I can not find a way to script access to any color palette other than the Active File colors.

The Color Index is actually a mapping of 16 bit RGB (0-65535) values to 8 bit values (0-255) for each of the R, G and B Channels.  So it is very possible (if unlikely) that you can create two slightly different colors that vary from each other by about 0.2% in a single (or multiple) RGB values that will return the same index.

The attached file (VW2023) has three scripts.

1. Color to Index and RGB will allow you to click on objects in the drawing and will open a message window with the color index of the Fill Back of the object along with the 16 and 8 bit RGB values of that color. Click in an empty are of the drawing to exit.

2. Index to RGB allows you to enter and index and will show the 16 and 8 bit RGB values for that index in the dialog box. Enter 0 (zero) to exit the script.

3. Label colors work similar to the Create Color Chart except that it will put the Fill Back color for each selected object in the drawing approximately 100 mm above the object. It was designed and tested on a row of 500mm squares on a design layer at 1:50 scale.

HTH.

RGB to-from Color Index.vwx

Pat, thank you for help, for your time and effort.

I guess the Index for Active document color palette is the only option.

After making a copy of 16x16 existing color palette, for example Classic colors,

do you know how I can make it default to replace active document color palette.

Take a look at the Color Palette Manager.

You can select any palette (except the Active Document Colors) and click the Edit button. That will open the Edit Palette dialog box.

From there you can select and delete multiple colors at once.

Click the Get button and you can select multiple other color from another palette and import them all at once.

I don't think you can if there are any objects already in the drawing. The Active Document colors are the ones that are already applied to objects in the drawing, so you can't do anything about that.

Once you have made a new palette, just check in the Active column of the Color Palette Manager to make it accessible in the Color Picker.

Or from the Color Picker, choose Other Palettes to make something else active.

image.png.cde0757761d5c55a2c3d1977c30ec1c3.png