Ribbon and bows

56 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Do you really need this to be 3D or could you get by with some imported pictures and make Image Props from them? Or even Image Props of the complete packages?

I would hiss it will depend on the final product. I have done awnings like this and the 3D geometry really helped to bend the pipe. I've also done things that were hand sculpted and/or thermoplastics and that could be done from references and hand doodles.

Typically clients cannot any longer make the leap from doodles to finished product, they need to see a rendered model.

This is also kind of the perfect way to learn SubD because your'e not trying to recreate a perfect model of a Lamborghini. It's a totally freeform organic sculpture with no right or wrong. You're not snapping to or aligning anything. You can just pull at it like taffy until you've roughed it in.

Josh has a great SubD video at the same link (his YouTube page), and @Luis M Ruizhas some great videos in VW University. Also, because it's a SDK that was released by Pixar, most SubD tutorials on YouTube apply (same principles; similar tools and workflows).

The only caveat is at the very end of your modeling, duplicate it, and convert to Generic Solids for texture mapping. Keep the original model in case you want to make edits. We've been requesting that SubD get proper texture mapping for years but it keeps falling on deaf ears.

• Like 2

Using the bow from your first post. Here is a very quick sample.  I made an image prop of the PNG. Used the image to make a mask (had to adjust the contrast). The Box is an extrude.  In the lower image I chamfered the edges.  The ribbon across the package are 2D rectangles on working planes. I used the eyedropper in the Color Palette to pull the color off the bow image. The bow is at the side because that is the way to get the dangling ends to show.

From start to finish about 15 minutes, including writing this post and finding the textures I wanted to use.

The first image is Shaded, with low quality.

image.png.176d745641944076a18f1c69e0a19b86.png

The second image is Shaded with a light source added and everything turned up to very high.

image.png.f445c49499e25e1652eaca6be585140e.png

• Like 1