File Crash (After MacOS Ventura Upgrade)

gridworks

Question

Hi all,

So I've been working on Vectorworks 2023, the file in question was created also on VW 2023 a couple months back. Been working on it since with no issues until now.

Just started happening, whenever I try to make a change to any walls in design layer; adjusting the height, adjusting the length, adjusting a window/door in the wall, Vectorworks would immediately crash. No spinning wheel, just evaporates!

Recent changes made to the system that I can think of are: updating to macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and VW 2023 latest SP2. I made sure to check the tech bulletin before making the OS upgrade in case of issues like this...

I've tried creating a copy of the file, same issue. I've downsaved to VW 2022, but when I try opening it with 2023 and upgrading the file, it crashes in the process.

Out of ideas here and not sure what to do at this point. I haven't found a similar post here so wondering if anyone else experienced this after an OS upgrade or has any resolution ideas. Much appreciated.

Machine details:

Macbook Pro 16in (2019)

2.4 GHz Intel i9

AMD 5500M 8GB GPU

32GB RAM

21 answers to this question

Did you try the removing your user folder and restarting VW? I don't believe a reinstall overwrites the User Folder and the Preferences.

From the Finder, click on the GO menu and then hold down the Option Key.  That should add an extra item labeled Library. Choose that and a Finder window to your hidden Mac OS User Library folder will open.

Go to Application Support:Vectorworks and drag the 2023 folder to the desktop.

Go to Preferences and drag anything starting with net.nemetschek.vectorworks that has 2023 in the name to the desktop.

Restart VW. You will need to reenter your serial number and probably reactivate VW.

If that does not work, then try in a new file from one of the stock templates. It could be that your file is corrupt. If that is the case, then either Tech Support might be able to help you find the corrupt objects on Monday, or perhaps you have a backup file you could go to without losing to much work.

HTH

13 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Go to Preferences and drag anything starting with net.nemetschek.vectorworks that has 2023 in the name to the desktop.

I followed everything till this step. Which "Preferences" are you referring to? I don't see a Preferences folder in the 2023 folder I dragged to the desktop. And what do I do with the items I dragged to the desktop afterwards? Can I delete them?

Preferences is a folder in the Library folder, similar to Application Support. Look for files named net.Nemetschek.vectorworks in that folder.

If dragging them to the desktop solves the problem, then yes you can delete them.

If you have customized VW very much (Custom Workspace, favorites, etc.) then you might want to try and rescue them from the User folder on your desktop by moving them back into the new User Folder the relaunch of VW created.

What happens in a new file created from one of the default templates?

Not experiencing issues with a new file created from a default template. 

However, I opened an archived file from as far back as over a month ago and it's experiencing the same crash. Not sure why I'm experiencing this now, it's been fine before.

Just lost hours of work today trying to troubleshoot this. Is there a place for me to upload the file so tech support can take a look at the issue?

Update on this bizarre situation. I started creating new design layers and tracing every single wall. Finally get the walls all drawn up and start dropping in doors, crashes immediately. Doesn't matter if the door I'm plugging in is a Vectorworks default or my own styled ones. If I drop the door into space, no issue... But the moment I try to insert it into a wall, it crashes... Lots of time lost, still nothing from tech support.

I've managed to recreate a new file by importing the design layers and recreating all the sheets layers, time consuming and should not be necessary.

But I'm even more baffled to have not heard anything back from Vectorworks Support still. I've been using VW in the practice for the past five years (every version since VW 2017) as well as being the office support for new employees coming into VW. And over the years I've come across bugs/glitches, some minor and explainable, others more disruptive to the workflow. Most recently, I've returned to school to pursue my graduate degree, and this has really got me reconsidering my program of choice...

I have been having similar issues but only when I try to do a page setup when organising up a new sheet layer. Everything goes fine and the sheet is created but as soon as I click "page setup" Vectorworks disappears. This has only happened since upgrading to Ventura and it doesn't happen to every drawing, some older and today a new one. The crash report suggests a kernel panic but aside from that it's beyond me. With one drawing I copied everything across into a new file and it seems to have worked but now it's a happened with a new drawing.

VW23

Intel Mac running Ventura.

11 hours ago, Alan.AHA said:

I have been having similar issues but only when I try to do a page setup when organising up a new sheet layer. Everything goes fine and the sheet is created but as soon as I click "page setup" Vectorworks disappears. This has only happened since upgrading to Ventura and it doesn't happen to every drawing, some older and today a new one. The crash report suggests a kernel panic but aside from that it's beyond me. With one drawing I copied everything across into a new file and it seems to have worked but now it's a happened with a new drawing.

VW23

Intel Mac running Ventura.

The stability, or lack of, with the program is one thing. But the availability of tech support when issues arise is maybe even more worrisome, perhaps this is due to the relatively small user base, I don't know. But either way, once I get the current project wrapped up, I have some decisions to make moving forward.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Tech support told me they can not find a license for you. And they don't support unlicensed users.

Resend your request for support and make sure to include all of your license information so they can find you and make sure you get the correct support.

Request was sent through the link you had provided a few posts up... Which also asked for a serial number for the license, for which I had provided as well. All the information was provided on my end. If the tech was unable to find a license associated with my account, they should have reached out to me, no?

Update: tech finally replied as of 30min ago. File is uploaded, we'll see what they come back with.

Same issues here.

vw2023 sp2 on MacBook pro running ventura 13.1.

Drawing started with vw2023 on ventura 13. now on ventura 13,1

Impossible to copy/paste wall with windows inside the file or to another file, insert window in wall, modify window inserted in wall.

Tryed sugestions from Pat Stanford: new file and import layers; moved files and folders to desktop; formatted HD and reinstalled ventura from bootable usb and updated to 13,1.

But a new default file with a default wall and default window seems good.

Now I'll try to redraw everything from scratch on a new file without georeferencing.

• Like 1

So update on the situation. I had stopped using VW for a while now, decided to load it up again today and found an update for a new service pack (SP3). After the new update, the bug seems to be gone now. No more crashing when editing the previously "corrupted" file, but what a bizarre situation to be in in the first place...

• Like 1