dwg import polygons are split into triangles

michaelk

Question

Just got a .dwg showing hardscape on a project.

The polygons for existing buildings on the site are weird.  I'm used to seeing a fill polygon with no line and either another polygon with lines but no fill or lots of lines and arcs that almost meet at the ends.

But on this one the fill is thousands of triangles stretching diagonally across the polygon with no pen.  Almost like it was a mesh object from sketchup.  But they are all polygons.

Is there a dwg import setting I can change?  Or what can I ask the originator of the dwg file to do so polygons import as single polygons.  I'm sure that on AutoCad it must be one object. (?)

Edit:  And while we're at it - all the text came through as polygons. 🤨  Is there a setting for that or can I ask the originator to change something?

2 answers to this question

Hi all 

I am opening this again. 

I think I have the same problem. 

Usually when I import a DWG file, I get lots of diagonals forming triangles. 

The 3D looks okay, but the 2D plan gets quite messy. 

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a basic understanding of DWG that I need to read into? 

Here you see the floor highlighted. 

1442440566_Skrmbillede2022-12-16kl_14_28_49.thumb.png.12b6013e797b063318133eaaa033d546.png

And here a simple I-Beam from top view. 

614642082_Skrmbillede2022-12-16kl_14_31_40.png.b2a281fb48d995b32ea009293e43c900.png

Best from Mathias 

Edited by mhersland