running Vectorworks in remote or virtualized environments

Our IT department recently demonstrated the operation of Civil 3D and some very large aerial images using Microsoft Azure for the processing and an underpowered computer in a conference room for display.  It was quite amazing to see.  We have remote staff working under this arrangement and it appears to be very good.

Questions:

Have you operated Vectorworks in such an environment and what has your experience been?

What about accessing a Vectorworks run remotely on a Windows based system via a Mac client?

Any pitfalls or general recommendation as we begin research into this possibility?

I have several older version of VW installed in MacOS VWMare virtual machines that I use for testing and translation purposes. But I don't use them for "real" work with VW, but they seem to run just fine.

Not sure how VW would run remotely. As long as you had a fast network connection on both ends (Cable or Fiber, preferably symetric), able to dedicate at least  it would probably be OK for general users. Streaming 4K video (which is relatively highly compressed) requires about 25Meg of bandwidth. So you are going to want to have at least that much available for each user trying to run VW remotely. For the power users who already draft faster than VW can keep up with clicks I think it would be a painful experience.

I would only recommend even trying something like this to either a tech loving solo practitioner or a large firm with a very good and underutilized IT department to get it set up and running properly.

HTH

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Still looking for any Azure use cases...

The past few weeks we have been testing operation of Vectorworks via a remote desktop control.  Vectorworks exists on a very well spec'd Windows based system, remote control of that system was done from both PC and Mac based systems, one user being over 100 miles away.  It seems to be working very well initially while people follow  training videos.  We shall see what happens as things get more complicated 🙂

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Our team is in the process of testing several virtual desktop solutions.  If you have specific questions right now, please let us know.  Once the testing and partnerships are finalized, we will let you you know.  But overall, we do feel virtual desktop solutions work with Vectorworks, pending the circumstance and instances.  

• Like 2

The company I was consulting decided to stick with AutoDesk since we couldn't get timely information on this topic directly from VWX customer support.

FYI Autodesk provided a full demonstration and testing environment to help make the decision within a week of the initial request...

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

@LDraminski and @Jeff Prince,

Have you all made any further progress on this or know of anyone who is trying this out. Jeff, you mentioned a tech loving sole practitioner, I might be your guy. I'm also interested to see what a university set up might involve. Many students want to use 3D modeling software and not many can afford a machine with the power to run programs like VW. If we could have a virtual LAB where students could use VW remotely could be great for the industry and VW.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone else is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rowbear97 said:

@LDraminski and @Jeff Prince,

Have you all made any further progress on this or know of anyone who is trying this out. Jeff, you mentioned a tech loving sole practitioner, I might be your guy. I'm also interested to see what a university set up might involve. Many students want to use 3D modeling software and not many can afford a machine with the power to run programs like VW. If we could have a virtual LAB where students could use VW remotely could be great for the industry and VW.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone else is greatly appreciated.

I stopped the research I was doing because it seemed VWX was not interested in supporting such a scheme and a competitor was more than happy to get the company set up with a solution.  I also lost interest in VWX Project Sharing due to stability issues.  All of this stuff is very promising, but not ready for prime time IMHO.

Oh, Pat mentioned the "tech loving sole practitioner" 🙂

• Administrator
17 hours ago, rowbear97 said:

Robert, this is our current policy and support as far as Vectorworks and virtualized environments:

Remote and Virtualized Environments

Vectorworks runs successfully within remote and virtualized environments. We are confident that offices that wish to operate using virtualization technologies will have success with this option, if the software is given adequate resources comparable to the desktop system requirements listed elsewhere in this document.

Offices must develop IT in-house or contract out IT support for their chosen virtualization system. Vectorworks Inc. can only provide general guidance, since many virtualization options exist, and every virtualization technology has its own details realized uniquely for each office.

Vectorworks is a graphical application and as such requires high quality graphics support from the virtualization technology chosen. The graphics recommendations listed in the system requirements for desktop operation are a good guide for what is necessary for virtualized GPUs. The virtualized copies of Vectorworks must have sufficient graphical support to operate successfully.

High network bandwidth and low network system latency are also critical for acceptable user experience when using Vectorworks in virtualized environments.

-----------------------

I can add that we successfully tested the following platforms: HPAnywhere, Inevidesk, and Simple Cloud. Simple Cloud, in particular, has a well-established training lab setup that aligns closely with what you're seeking for a virtual lab environment for students to utilize Vectorworks.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
15 hours ago, Jeff Prince said:

I also lost interest in VWX Project Sharing due to stability issues.  All this stuff is very promising, but not ready for prime time IMHO.

I suggest giving Project Sharing in Vectorworks 2024 a try. We have made several enhancements to improve its functionality and stability. Sometimes, even the best tools require some time to shine. I believe you will be satisfied with the results, and thank you for your patience and support.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JuanP said:

I suggest giving Project Sharing in Vectorworks 2024 a try. We have made several enhancements to improve its functionality and stability. Sometimes, even the best tools require some time to shine. I believe you will be satisfied with the results, and thank you for your patience and support.

That's good news!

• Like 1