Is it Possible to Auto Number Symbol Instances?

Daniel s

Question

I have a number of different symbols I want to auto-number and auto-update when a symbol is deleted or added. Is there a way to do this in Version 2022?

I have tried using record format linked to the symbol or setting up an incremental data tag but can't figure it out. I can only input each number in the record format which is quite tedious.

I'd like to use a data tag similarly to how you can with windows. Applying the numbering to all instances of a particular symbol but I'm not sure if this is possible. If there is anyway to auto number symbols please let me know. We currently have to constantly re-enter numbering for these symbols (bike parking types, car parking types etc.), there must be a way to do this automatically...

2 answers to this question

I don't think there is a way to auto-renumber symbols.

Best manual solution I can think of would be a worksheet that shows the numbers and is sorted numerically (but you may need to "zero pad" the display 001, 002, 003, 011, 012, 099, 100 to get them to sort properly).  You should then be able to copy/paste the sequence to move down/up when you add/delete items.

Ask again if you need more information.

There is a 3rd party solution for $25.  "Savvy Sequencer 2" by Josh Benghiat at www.benghiatlighting.com.  If you number anything often or different things only once but often, this is a must have plug-in.  Many people think they shouldn't have to use a 3rd party plug-in.  Well, if you want to do any or all of the above easily, suck it up and get "Savvy Sequencer 2".

• Like 2