Device Eyedropper / Bucket, changing conetor spacing.

Jeff.Sullivan

I am trying to use the eyedropper tool on devices, which changes the socket spacing.  All of my devices are made with the device builder tool. From time to time, I need to change something on a device and would like to apply that to multiple devices of the same type. Every time I use the dropper and the bucket, the spacing changes on the device that I use the bucket on. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting that I need to change? 

This is Apple TV 3 to TV 4 drop.

Capture.PNG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Sullivan.NEP the connector spacing in ConnectCAD is determined by the snap grid setting. If you have changed the snap grid then the spacing will change.

In schematic drawings it really does make sense to keep everything on the grid. Best practice is to find a snap grid setting that you like (if the standard templates don't suit) and stick with it. Leave snap to grid on during schematic drawing and enjoy.

Do reach out if you have any questions or if something doesn't add up.

Best

Conrad

Hello all,

The Device builder is using the snap grid scale to determine the spacing between sockets. It expects a single socket to be 1 snap grid in height. Seems like you have modified your socket symbols and made them bigger and that is why they overlap when created with the device builder. So the solution would be to try to make your socket graphics fit in a single snap grid height or change your snap grid in advance to fit your socket graphics.

We will see if this can be improved so that customized sockets are placed correctly with the device builder too.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

I have to chime in here. Whenever you customize ConnectCAD you have to test what you have done and make sure that it works. If you see a problem in your drawing, don't assume that it is a bug until you have tried the same operation using the standard template. And also @everyone if you have done some customization please say so when you report a problem here.

Best

Conrad

• Sad 1

@Jeff.Sullivan Sorry Jeff, please don't misunderstand me. My only purpose here in every case is to get a resolution of our users' problems as fast as possible.To that end it's really important that we get as much information as possible up front. It also helps you get a solution faster if you try the simple test of "does this issue happen with the standard template?". And if the issue does arise from your customization be assured we are still committed to helping you achieve your design goals - it just changes the problem. Hope that clarifies the position and my apologies if I caused any offence.

Conrad