Vectorworks 8.5.1 (I know its OLD, but I am too)

Tmarxmiller

Question

I had a hard drive crash and had to replace it on my old G-4 power MAC.with 466 MHz processor.  I had to reinstall the software, and the highest version I have now is VectorWorks 8.5.1.  anyone know where I could get any of the old updates? Now many of the files I created with my old version, when I try and open them, gives me a message that I need more memory to open them. Some open fine, but more detailed once wont open. 

I remember there was someplace to allocate more memory to VW, but I am unable to locate it. I have the max memory in the G-4, 1.5GB, and the only app, other than the system software, is the VectorWorks application. 

Are there any old timers around who might be able to help me get to the area to change the memory allocation on my old MAC? I'm 76 YO and never was able to buy newer versions of VW to work on my newer computers (over the years) as I retired from the business years ago, and was able to do everything I want , until I had to replace the drive. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Tmarxmiller said:

I remember there was someplace to allocate more memory to VW, but I am unable to locate it. I have the max memory in the G-4, 1.5GB, and the only app, other than the system software, is the VectorWorks application. 

Perhaps the attached PDF will help?

I can not vouch for the accuracy of the information, but it sounds right.

Hopefully someone on the forum or at Vectorworks tech support could help with the old updates you need.

With Mac OS, how can I allocate more memory to an application?.pdf

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

As I remember Minicad was the only decent CAD software for Mac that you could run or afford. It also had tools that worked like Illustrator, Freehand and others so it was easy to learn. It took 20 years for Autocad to run on the Mac and you have to take a college class to get certified. Really… Sooner later professional software will exceed the cost of what designers can charge or the time needed to learn.

Agree, that's why systems like QGIS, and various freeware CADs are so important, although free/opensource CAD seems a way behind open GIS.

Most of us don't need continuous bells and whistles, just a drawing platform that works and is as simple as it can be, while not restricting the ways designers minds work.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

As I remember Minicad was the only decent CAD software for Mac that you could run or afford.

Yes it was affordable - something now lost?

Coming from ClarisCad (yes I go back that far) promising something not quite provided, MiniCad was a huge leap that put me ahead of many of the architectural practices I freelanced for.

I was able to promote, introduce and sell systems to much larger companies still stuck with tracing paper, rotring pens (together with razor blades to correct/change the design) and to ‘print’ via light sensitive paper passed through an A0 sized ‘mangle’ and then to an ammonia based developer. No worries about health and safety then guys.

Not to mention the introduction of a new and must have tool - ‘symbols’ - turns out to be a freebie plastic product stencil provided by your local sanitaryware representative and the like. Oh, and the ability to move from hand written legends to ‘letraset’ - wow that was the biz! - they even had people, trees and vehicles to place (to scale!) wherever you wanted. 

3 hours ago, unearthed said:

Most of us don't need continuous bells and whistles, just a drawing platform that works and is as simple as it can be, while not restricting the ways designers minds work.

I don’t remember minicad having glitches. (Just me?)

Bells don’t ring true when found to have a crack and whistles don’t give the (advertised) sound when the pea is missing. Yes, whistles don’t always have peas - please allow me the metaphor.

And then to find that the new bell now stops your old whistle working…..What a rabbit hole. 

6 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

Sooner later professional software will exceed the cost of what designers can charge or the time needed to learn.

We are not on VW radar. Commercially we are invisible at the price they determine. 

Could be time for VW ‘lite’? Where once expensive bells and whistles become (once actually proved to work reliably) are later made available to an enthusiastic group of professional users who don’t need up to the minute file compatibility with the mainstream (market leading unfortunately) cad and presentation packages. 

I’m very happy to have been on part of the journey with minicad/vectorworks, but the ownership landscape is changing - 2018 serves me well and it’s time to get my coat….

ps . Ahh… those were the days.

• Like 1

We have VWX lite it’s called Fundamentals. It lacks lots of tools like sectioning, wall tools and many more but works fine for my needs.

Side note:

3 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

ps . Ahh… those were the days.

When you travel through Europe you have to marvel at the work of architects and builders who built masterpieces with out the aid of computers and software. Those were the days.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2022 at 6:56 PM, jeff prince said:

Perhaps the attached PDF will help?

I can not vouch for the accuracy of the information, but it sounds right.

Hopefully someone on the forum or at Vectorworks tech support could help with the old updates you need.

With Mac OS, how can I allocate more memory to an application?.pdf 76.3 kB · 9 downloads

This info should work for me, thanks. But for some reason I can not 'get info' on anything anymore. It may be a matter of reinstalling the MAC 9.5 OS. I'm signing up for a 30 day trial for my 2018 MAC mini. But there is no way I can spend the kind of money they want for a new version. Anyone have ideas as to what freeware might be able to help me get at these old files, if the OS reinstall doesnt work?

Thanks for the help from all.

Tom