Floor finishes how?

Ramon PG

Assigning a Floor Finish in the Space object does not show an actual finish, so...

I know the slab can include a floor finish. But, I am working with an interior with six or seven different floor finishes.

Do you use several slabs? Or, one slab and objects on top with classed finishes (on Slab or Floor layer?)

Thanks.

Edited by Ramon PG

If I have a floor with many different finishes; I configure my slab so that the top finish is the subfloor.  Then, I create extrusions for the floor finish and class them accordingly.  This method is really advantageous to detail thresholds if you are careful about the actual thickness of the floor finish.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Ramon PG said:

Assigning a Floor Finish in the Space object does not show an actual finish, so...

I know the slab can include a floor finish. But, I am working with an interior with six or seven different floor finishes.

Do you use several slabs? Or, one slab and objects on top with classed finishes (on Slab or Floor layer?)

Thanks.

Yes I'll have a main structural slab that spans the whole building then separate floor finish slabs in the rooms. One slab on top of another. The floor finish might include several components e.g. tiles on adhesive or timber flooring on underlay etc.

I might have a separate ceiling slab as well (under the structural slab).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ron Kwaske said:

If I have a floor with many different finishes; I configure my slab so that the top finish is the subfloor.  Then, I create extrusions for the floor finish and class them accordingly.  This method is really advantageous to detail thresholds if you are careful about the actual thickness of the floor finish.

These floors finishes are in the Floor or Slab layer?

You don't apply the finish to the Space Object and then you have it report to the Finishes Schedule??

1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

Yes I'll have a main structural slab that spans the whole building then separate floor finish slabs in the rooms. One slab on top of another. The floor finish might include several components e.g. tiles on adhesive or timber flooring on underlay etc.

I might have a separate ceiling slab as well (under the structural slab).

How do you link the slab to the Finishes Schedule? I am trying to have the floor finish object show AND report the finish to the Schedule. 

6 minutes ago, Ramon PG said:

How do you link the slab to the Finishes Schedule? I am trying to have the floor finish object show AND report the finish to the Schedule. 

I'm afraid I don't use the Space Room Finishes Schedule. If I am including all that detail in the model (i.e. in the Wall/Slab/Roof components/Materials) I think that makes using Room Finishes redundant...?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ramon PG said:

These floors finishes are in the Floor or Slab layer?

You don't apply the finish to the Space Object and then you have it report to the Finishes Schedule??

I manually enter the finish on the 'room finishes' tab in the space object.  I don't know of any way to get a slab object 'talk to' a space object.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I'm afraid I don't use the Space Room Finishes Schedule. If I am including all that detail in the model (i.e. in the Wall/Slab/Roof components/Materials) I think that makes using Room Finishes redundant...?

Interesting. How do you report to the contractor these "Wall/Slab/Roof components/Materials"?

6 minutes ago, Ron Kwaske said:

I manually enter the finish on the 'room finishes' tab in the space object.  I don't know of any way to get a slab object 'talk to' a space object.

I was thinking of giving the Space Object a hatch or texture (in Plan/Top) that relates graphically to the floor finish selected for the Finish Schedule. I am not worrying too much about the actual finish depth as I can always do a small detail for that.  

• Like 1

Thanks to Ron and Tom for a couple of interesting views on the subject. 

I now realize that giving Space objects a hatch is no good when doing renderings as they will not accept textures.

So, double work... do the extra slab or extrude AND the Schedule. Unless I figure how to do Tom's component reporting.

Edited by Ramon PG
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Ramon PG said:

Interesting. How do you report to the contractor these "Wall/Slab/Roof components/Materials"?

I do material take-off reports but that is for the project as a whole. I use Data Tags in the drawings to indicate the materials/finishes used. I am not very experienced with Spaces: I only use them to report area, volume + to assign room names + display this info in Data Tags. I'm not sure how to report on materials/finishes on a room-by-room basis without using Room Finishes: perhaps you can do it using the GetSpaceNameForObj function...? I just wouldn't want to have to manually enter all that info into a Space object + then enter it again each time something changes in the model... I always imagined that Room Finishes was more for when you have a very basic model with no Wall/Slab/Roof components + yet you want to indicate what the construction + finishes are. In a similar way you can add info re numbers of electrical devices but again is more for early stage design + has no relationship to what's actually in the model? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I do material take-off reports but that is for the project as a whole. I use Data Tags in the drawings to indicate the materials/finishes used. I am not very experienced with Spaces: I only use them to report area, volume + to assign room names + display this info in Data Tags. I'm not sure how to report on materials/finishes on a room-by-room basis without using Room Finishes: perhaps you can do it using the GetSpaceNameForObj function...? I just wouldn't want to have to manually enter all that info into a Space object + then enter it again each time something changes in the model... I always imagined that Room Finishes was more for when you have a very basic model with no Wall/Slab/Roof components + yet you want to indicate what the construction + finishes are. In a similar way you can add info re numbers of electrical devices but again is more for early stage design + has no relationship to what's actually in the model? 

It is an interesting approach. I would not report on the actual quantities to the contractor but if the wall, slab, ceiling components and quantities/SqFt are identified they could show in some kind of schedule/report.

Edited by Ramon PG

If you use Materials you can report on all sorts of useful things relating to your wall, slab, roof, hardscape + landscape area components. See the preformatted Material reports. And also display all that info in Data Tags. The thing I wasn't sure about was how to report on those Materials/components relative to rooms (i.e. Spaces) but I have just tried GetSpaceNameForObj + this will add the name of the Space that your Slab is in to the report so basically you can then create a schedule listing the rooms, the names of the Slabs in each one plus a list of the components/Materials used in each case. So the Slab can 'talk' to the Space.

How it would work with Walls I'm not sure...

• Like 1