Vectorworks renames Story

xxubiqts

Hi,

Amateur here trying to set up stories.

Every time I try to create a Story for the roof (called "Roof") it renames it "Roof-2"

This is not a huge deal but is a bit confusing convention-wise and I can't for the life of me figure it out...if I rename it anything else it does not add a suffix.

See screenshot below, issue is in the red box. Presumably it is because the word 'Roof' is being used elsewhere, but it is in none of my default story levels.
Help to rename this simply 'Roof' would be appreciated.

908910018_ScreenShot2022-11-16at4_33_47PM.png.f395082271170e30bc61c2fa939e95ff.png

Vectorworks has a single name list so only one thing (other than layers) in the entire drawing can have a given name.

Since you probably already have something else in the drawing with a name of Roof (probably the PIO Roof object), you can't name a second object Roof.

You are going to have to pick a different name.  You could probably use (space character)Roof or Roof(space character) but using invisible characters could lead to other problems later if you end up having to type it in somewhere and forget exactly what name you gave it.

3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Vectorworks has a single name list so only one thing (other than layers) in the entire drawing can have a given name.

Since you probably already have something else in the drawing with a name of Roof (probably the PIO Roof object), you can't name a second object Roof.

You are going to have to pick a different name.  You could probably use (space character)Roof or Roof(space character) but using invisible characters could lead to other problems later if you end up having to type it in somewhere and forget exactly what name you gave it.

Hah ok good to know! Interesting. Small thing but I had to ask...helps me understand the weird minutiae.

Thanks, appreciate it.