Issue with layer assignment when exporting a VW to AutoCAD (DWG) file

VW>AutoCAD question:

--I want to export a VW drawing such that when I open it in CAD the following is true: all the parts/components/lines/groups/etc of a lighting instrument are on layer '0'. The actual symbol instance in the drawing is on layer 'Lighting-units'.

--In VW, I've edited the symbol so all parts of the light are class '0'. When I insert a bunch of examples of that symbol in the drawing on class 'Lighting-units', things behave as expected: if I turn off either class, all the symbols disappear.

--When I export to CAD, and try the same thing, freezing the '0' layer doesn't make the symbols disappear, but freezing 'Lighting-units' does make them disappear (as expected.)

--In CAD, groups DO behave as expected here, i.e: the layer '0' still turns things invisible when frozen (the inner parts of the group are '0') as does 'Lighting-units' layer (the group as a whole is in this layer).

Running VW2021 and AutoCAD 2023 all on PC.

Here are my export settings if that's useful:

image.png.ac30216ed1187f8e54c8ff1202e9fc29.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Have you tried Class and layer mapping?

If you have used symbols fro the content libraries then you will notice that all of the parts belong to a class called 'Lighting-Incandescent'.

The class the lighting objects themselves use can be dictated via Spotlight Preferences you could utilise a class called 'Lighting-Units'.

"-In VW, I've edited the symbol so all parts of the light are class '0'. When I insert a bunch of examples of that symbol in the drawing on class 'Lighting-units', things behave as expected: if I turn off either class, all the symbols disappear."

This depends on what class the lighting objects themselves are. The class that owns a lighting device (Think of it like a container) takes precedence. 

• Like 1

Quick expansion on Tom's comment.  Nested objects in VW (PIOs, Symbols, Groups, Viewports) are considered to have "Parent" and "Child" objects (and these can be nested multiple layers deep). In order for an object to be visible, both the object itself and any parent objects back up the chain must all be visible. 

Simple example

Layer-1					Top level parent object for anythign in a drawing is the layer it is on.
	Group				Class-1		Parent of object of anything inside the group.
		Circle			Class-2		Child of the group.
		Symbol			Class-2		Child of the Group and parent of anything inside the symbol
			Rectangle	Class-3		Child of the symbol.

In the above hierarchy, nothing will be visible if the layer is invisible

Nothing will be visible if Class-1 containing the Group is visible.

If the Layer and Class-1 are visible then:

If Class-2 is visible and Class-3 is invisible you will only see the circle.

If Class 2 and Class 3 are both visible you will see the Circle and the Rectangle

If Class-2 is invisible and Class-3 is visible you will see nothing as the rectangle will be invisible because it's parent is invisible.

HTH.

• Like 3