Is there a way to "consolidate" site modifiers into a site model?

Background:

I tend to start my site models with topo data downloaded from my local assessors office or site surveys done by a local surveyor.

I then place architecture and other "known" objects at the correct locations on this fresh site model. 

After that I go out with my laser and survey the site using these known locations to place them all correctly.

At this point I also do grid elevations at a 10 or 20 foot grid, running elevations along driveways, and other hardscape elements that I know are going to stay where they are throughout the landscape design process.

I tend to use stakes and 3D polylines on my DTM-modifier Class as my normal site modifiers as I find these the easiest to recreate actual on site conditions well also ending up with nice smooth transitions in the second model.

Question:

After I've got my base model and all my new stakes and polylines working together I have a pretty accurate surveyed set model ready to be modified for the project.

Is there a way to consolidate all this information into a new site model?

Note:

I've tried to "edit proposed contours" and then copy all the polylines to pasting them in a new blank file...

But this just seems to crash VW every time I try - leaving me hoping I saved before I tried something so destructive.

20 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

After I've got my base model and all my new stakes and polylines working together I have a pretty accurate surveyed set model ready to be modified for the project.

You can do this:

1. In 'General' settings for the site model reduce the minor contour interval to something very small like 10mm.
  2. Go to Top View + change the ‘3D Style’ setting for the site model to ‘3D Contours’.

3. Ungroup the site model to convert it into 3D Polygons.

4. Use these 3D Polygons as the source data for creating a new site model (setting the contour interval to 10mm in step 1 means you're generating as much terrain detail as poss).

The problem with doing this is that your original site model might have 3D Loci as the source data but your new site model now has 3D contour source data which I think is less desirable. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

What is the desired outcome here?  In other words why?

Are you putting all of this existing information in the “existing site model data” and then doing your new work on the proposed?  If so, I’m wondering what the problem is.  If not, I have to ask why.

Jeff, I use 3D polygons as site modifiers...

I don't think you can designate existing or proposed for those.

I've tried stakes and grades to use as modifiers, but after @Tamsin Slatter did that video on how easy, accurate, and editable 3Dpolygons on the DTM class are to really shape a land... I almost exclusively use 3Dpolygons.

But that leaves me with no "existing" modifiers.

So i was hoping I could collapse everything to a base state and then start to modify from there.

Also, when I used to use existing/proposed Contours or Pads - since the proposed site modifiers would overlap the existing, I would end up with so many "modifier conflicts" and all those yellow exclamation points...  Which seemed bad.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Tom W. said:

3D contour source data which I think is less desirable.

As someone who only uses contour source data, why is this?

Should I be converting my source contours into Loci?

My local GIS data is all contours

And even the way I input when I do my own surveys (with my laser, a pen and some paper), I note my point elevations and then draw contours to fit the survey data.

4 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

As someone who only uses contour source data, why is this?

Should I be converting my source contours into Loci?

My local GIS data is all contours

And even the way I input when I do my own surveys (with my laser, a pen and some paper), I note my point elevations and then draw contours to fit the survey data.

I only meant that I've found source data in contour form less satisfactory when it comes to editing it (via Recreate From Source Data). All my topo surveys have come to me in 3D Loci form + I like the fact you can go back into the source data + tweak/remove/add individual loci if necessary to edit the model. When I've carried out the create-a-new-existing-site-model method described above this has converted my 3D Loci into a dense web of 3D Polygons which I've found then a lot harder to edit if I've needed to. The site models I've seen here on the forum created from contours look great: a lot smoother + more natural looking that what I often end up with from a load of random 3D Loci based on where the survey guy's decided to place his pole... hence the need to go into the source data + do some fiddling...

• Like 1
On 11/15/2022 at 6:33 AM, hollister design Studio said:

Jeff, I use 3D polygons as site modifiers...

I don't think you can designate existing or proposed for those.

I also use 3d polygons for site modifiers. Partly because I'm using vw Architect which doesn't have all the tools vw Landscape does. But also because I've found the site modifier tools I do have available hard to get to grips with.

To distinguish between existing vs proposed modifiers I place the 3d polys modifying the extg model inside the dtm as site model data. That leaves all the remaining 3d poly modifiers acting on the proposed dtm.

What I also do, which I've found useful is once I have fully modelled my extg dtm, is duplicate it and use the duplicate for the proposed dtm. I like to keep an extg dtm set aside as a reference.

• Like 4