VW compatibility macOS, older versions

My main VW use is 2019, on a 2105 mbp, on Mojave.  Our accounting software (Accountedge) which works great, is leaving Mojave behind at the end of this year (at least some functionality will be lost).  We will probably get a new mbp next year when Apple updates.  But in the meantime it looks like on the accounting side we might want to upgrade to Monterey.  It looks like Monterey will run, though this computer is about the oldest one that will.  We are VW Select subscribers so we have access to new versions of VW and we have 2021 on the machine.  But I all our CAD needs are nicely met with 2019.

So I have two questions.  Will 2019 run properly on Monterey?  And, will 2021 run properly on Monterey?

Thanks as always, Donald

• 2 weeks later...

slight diversion here ......   I followed the links and looked at the compatibility charts for VW 2015 and it says that it will not work (red X) for Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6).   I've been running VW 2015 on Sierra for about 1 year on my late 2012 27" iMac and have not noticed any issues.    I'm currently perplexed about what to do with the new "subscription only" model and wonder if VW does actually work on older Mac OSs but the literature says it doesn't.   Any thoughts ?

If a version is marked as not compatible, then there is something with it that does not work. It is very probable that your workflow just does not use whatever is incompatible between 10.12.6 and VW2015.

The farther you get from current versions of VW and Mac OS, the greater the risk of being incompatible is.

If you go to the subscription model, I believe you will have you choice of VW versions at least three versions back. So that means that since VW2023 is current, you should have 2022 and 2021 accessible (and maybe 2020). Given that VW is usually compatible with three older versions of MacOS, that means you can have a subscription and run about a 6 year old version of Mac OS.  Which means probably at least an 8 or 9 year old computer.

If you are using this professionally, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not budgeting and keeping you computer and software far more up to date than that. The speed increases in hardware over even 4 years are so great that you are slowing yourself down by not keeping current.  $20/month would let you but a good mid-range Mac every 3-4 years. 

My Not So Humble Opinion. Sorry.

OK .. thanks for the reply, Pat .    For your info, here is my unique problem:  I'm retired and I don't use VW to make money.  I use it for charity work (I have a great 3D model of my church that I don't want to lose).  My 2015 VW perpetual license would be fine if I weren't concerned about my 2012 iMac becoming obsolete or broken.   Using the subscription service would be much more irritating, economically.    So ... I will soon have to make a decision on buying the last year perpetual license (2023) and expect to use it for several years before I pass along, or try and get bye with the old software and hardware.  (I can't buy new hardware, since VW 2015 won't work on it with the associated new Mac OS.)   

So one last question ....   if I get the 2023 version with service select (in order to get the discount), will having Service Select for a year also allow me to get the 2024 VW version for "free"  ?

I believe that if you purchase a VW2023 perpetual license (only available until December 30, 2022) and Service Select, it is very likely that VW2024 will be released before your Service Select expires. If that is true then yes you will get VW2024 also.

But I might have a better solution for you.   Rather than trying to keep 10+ year old hardware running, find someone who can help you set up a "Virtual Machine" (Parallels, VMWare Fusion,  Virtualbox) based on the OS that runs your current version of VW.  It is highly likely that once you have the virtual machine version, that the "virtual machine host software" will be kept up to date with the then current Mac OS (or even allow you to switch to Windows or maybe even Linux/Unix) so you can keep running your current VW effectively forever on whatever hardware you end up with.

I have several old versions of VW running in Virtual Machines for when I need to go back in time. One as old at Mac OS9 running VW8.5.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to help you get it set up right now. And it is not something that I would want to try and do remotely. But I am sure you can fine someone local who could help you for a couple of hundred dollars and that way you can move forward with what you have effectively forever.

Ask again if you need more clarification.

And sorry for snapping at you. 😉

• Like 1

Pat:

Eureka  !         Once again ... thanks for the brilliant reply.  I should have thought of Parallels Desktop as the answer to my problem.   Thanks to your idea, I think I can rest easy with a likely long term solution.     After having read the entire Parallels website, it is not clear if, or how many, older versions of the Mac OS can be emulated using Parallels.  Once again, your response above is great because you testified that you've done it.   On the website, they emphasize running Windows or Linux with no discussion of emulating older Mac OS versions.    I've found other internet evidence that it is possible.     Once again, Pat ....... thanks.

PS:  As a retired guy, you can see how I use VW to design wheelchair ramps if you visit my charity at https://faithworkscoalition.org  .    I'm the only one in the world using $4000 software to design $600 ramps.   (I'm also the guy on the cover page wearing shorts.   It is easier to design small stairs than it is to cut stringers properly.).    Anyone reading this:  feel free to make a contribution. 😉

well .... dismay has returned to my world.  

I read the Parallels v18 User guide and discovered the current version does not allow "guest" Mac OS systems that are as old as Mac OS Sierra (the last OS that will run VW 2015).   here is a link:  https://kb.parallels.com/en/124223#section2 .    It appears the Apple M1 chip will not allow Parallels to run older Mac OS versions, even though Parallels will run very old Mac OS systems on Apple hardware that uses an Intel chip.   Since any future Apple computer will use an 'M' series chip, I'm now stuck again.     If you (or anyone reading this) has an intellectual interest in solving my issue, I'm still open to suggestions.