Vectorworks to DWG export none fill/pen

mahmoudsmonem

Question

Hey everyone,

Is there a way to hide objects/lines with specific record? I have no idea why Vectorworks when exporting to DWG objects with none fill/pen in data visualisation is still showing up in the dwg file. I there a way to hide it other than relying on classes because that would cause a lot of mess and make things more complicated

cheers

12 answers to this question

It is possible to hide objects, but in a quick test I just did those objects are still exported to DXF.

If you want to try, Edit your workspace and add the Custom Visibility command. I put it in the Tools menu with Custom Selection and Custom Modification.

The first thing you want to do is use Custom Visibility to create a script. The Criteria should be Show.  I always name this script Show All. That way you can get back your objects after you hide them.

Second, select (or otherwise specify by criteria) the objects you want to hide. Run Custom Visibility and set the option to Hide. Your choice if you want to just run the command or generate a script.

Ask again if not clear enough.

HTH

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

It is possible to hide objects, but in a quick test I just did those objects are still exported to DXF.

If you want to try, Edit your workspace and add the Custom Visibility command. I put it in the Tools menu with Custom Selection and Custom Modification.

The first thing you want to do is use Custom Visibility to create a script. The Criteria should be Show.  I always name this script Show All. That way you can get back your objects after you hide them.

Second, select (or otherwise specify by criteria) the objects you want to hide. Run Custom Visibility and set the option to Hide. Your choice if you want to just run the command or generate a script.

Ask again if not clear enough.

HTH

Thank you Pat, I tried to do it but it did not work. Nothing happens when I try to change the criteria, it is always stuck on 01.

image.png.abc92395ab8e5c0a4de34acab800fb36.png

2 minutes ago, mahmoudsmonem said:

Thank you Pat, I tried to do it but it did not work. Nothing happens when I try to change the criteria, it is always stuck on 01.

That means that you only have one Record Format in the file and the name of it is 01.

If you want to use Records to control the visibility, create a new record format in the Resource Manager. Attach that new record to the objects you want to hide in the OIP. And then try the Custom Visibility again.

1 minute ago, Pat Stanford said:

That means that you only have one Record Format in the file and the name of it is 01.

If you want to use Records to control the visibility, create a new record format in the Resource Manager. Attach that new record to the objects you want to hide in the OIP. And then try the Custom Visibility again.

but I already have different other records, that's how I manipulate the visualization, but it seems that this thing is buggy, I can't even change the criteria to anything else, I have to add then delete the one with record.

image.png.46f42b091209d3e75c12354163cef166.png

Do you have the same criteria problems if you try and use the Custom Selection tool or set the database row criteria in a worksheet?

Otherwise not much more I can help without seeing the file.

Yes, it seems like this is a software bug, I tried restarting the file but still the same issue.

I recommend that you contact Technical Support then. It sounds like it may be a corrupt file. If that is the case, then you will want to fix/replace the file as soon as possible before the corruption gets worse and you loose something/everything.

They can probably do a screen share with you to see if they see a problem.

If not, they can probably help you through the steps to do a layer by layer copy into a new blank file that will hopefully not contain the corruption.

Regards,

Pat

• Like 1

I recommend that you contact Technical Support then. It sounds like it may be a corrupt file. If that is the case, then you will want to fix/replace the file as soon as possible before the corruption gets worse and you loose something/everything.

They can probably do a screen share with you to see if they see a problem.

If not, they can probably help you through the steps to do a layer by layer copy into a new blank file that will hopefully not contain the corruption.

Regards,

Pat

Thank you very much Pat, I really appreciate your help, sure I will contact them.

Cheers