VW 2022 Planned obsolescence issues?

gytis15

Question

Hello,

Why is it that every year, when a new version of vectorworks has just been released, along with a new mac OS, my current vectorworks starts behaving very odd? graphical bugs like objects disappearing when not panning the screen, frequent crashing, etc, its the same issues every year, they come about after a service update and im convinced its bugs purposely implemented to force you to upgrade. anyone else having similar issues on the macs? I know windows are backward compatible so I suspect its not an issue there.

6 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, gytis15 said:

Hello,

Why is it that every year, when a new version of vectorworks has just been released, along with a new mac OS, my current vectorworks starts behaving very odd? graphical bugs like objects disappearing when not panning the screen, frequent crashing, etc, its the same issues every year, they come about after a service update and im convinced its bugs purposely implemented to force you to upgrade. anyone else having similar issues on the macs? I know windows are backward compatible so I suspect it’s not an issue there.

Don’t upgrade your macOS until a service pack for the old VWX is issued to resolve those issues.  Nothing lasts forever, eventually your old VWX won’t run on a given OS.  Same is true of windows.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Don’t upgrade your macOS until a service pack for the old VWX is issued to resolve those issues.  Nothing lasts forever, eventually your old VWX won’t run on a given OS.  Same is true of windows.

I have not upgraded for that reason. the difference is mac upgrades their os every year which breaks most things and forces the update. whereas at least windows sticks with an os (like 10) for many years and programs will continue to work. Also, windows is backwards compatible, so programs on windows continue to work far longer. It just infuriates me this profit driven 1 year upgrade cycle that is optimised for profiteering rather than user experience

There is nothing in Apple’s annual upgrade cycle ‘forcing’ you to upgrade your macOS to the latest version. 

Yes, you might miss out on some of the bells & whistles if not all of your Apple family devices are not on the latest version, but that’s a small price to pay for Vw stability. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rDesign said:

There is nothing in Apple’s annual upgrade cycle ‘forcing’ you to upgrade your macOS to the latest version. 

Yes, you might miss out on some of the bells & whistles if not all of your Apple family devices are not on the latest version, but that’s a small price to pay for Vw stability. 

not directly forcing, but the old OS stops working with certain apps and programs, making old OS unusable, this has been clearly documented as a strategy apple uses accross its business to accelerate upgrades to their newest models/programs

1 hour ago, gytis15 said:

I have not upgraded for that reason. the difference is mac upgrades their os every year which breaks most things and forces the update. whereas at least windows sticks with an os (like 10) for many years and programs will continue to work. Also, windows is backwards compatible, so programs on windows continue to work far longer. It just infuriates me this profit driven 1 year upgrade cycle that is optimised for profiteering rather than user experience

That's a choice on your part... not the OS or software companies.

You can opt out of upgrading every year, unless you use subscription software 😞

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gytis15 said:

but the old OS stops working with certain apps and programs, making old OS unusable,

Unfortunately.

But it seems the way it is.

On Mac, either you keep everything current ... ALL your Apps, OS and Hardware ...

Or keep the running Mac system as a whole, as long as possible.

This is less expensive on the long run for sure but it might be a pain if you finally

want or need to upgrade everything after 5-8 years and everything is new and

different.

I think you can't rely on compatibility on Windows nowadays too as you could in

the past. But it looks that my 2004 Microstation still seems to work on Windows 11

(in XP compatibility mode ?).

But not sure if that would still work if I would try to install it from scratch.

But if you are on VW 2022,

I think you should be all good with its next Service Pack.

Just as others already stated, it would have been better to wait for the SP

before upgrading to Ventura if you need high reliability.

• Like 1