how to prevent computer sleep while rendering

fsung

My G5 is going to sleep in the middle of rendering an animation.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but other than setting the sleep setting in the Energy Saver CP to "never," And why is it even going to sleep in the first place? Shouldn't the fact that it's rendering keep the thing awake?

TIA.

2.0 G5 Dual

OS X 10.3.7

VW 11.1

quote:

Originally posted by Jacques:

If the temperature of the G5 gets too high, the system will enter sleep mode to stop the cpu from burning out...Do your fans come on full blast when it renders?

No. The CPU temps are usually in the 135-140? F (56-60? C) range, and never gets above 155? F (70? C); the fan does spin up occasionally, but it never hits takeoff speed, like it occasionally does in Photoshop.

The 'Sleep' function is usually based on I/O from key/mouse. When using Batch Render the G5 will sleep unless told not to.

Batch Render is disk/processor intensive and requires user inputs. Such is life ... now here's the rub. The render engine requires access to the video stream for color&pixel resolutions. If the video is off the stream is null and the rendering stops while it waits for the video bit info stored in Vram. This has less to do with the Velocity engine and a lot to do with the Quartz OpenGL code.

On a G5 Renderworks uses the GForce Videoprocessor and the

PPC97 processor(s) together which results in very rapid display renderings. One cannot function without the other.