Hide Legends applied to Lighting Devices in Top/Plan View

Hi,

I'm using Vectorworks 2023 SP1 on a MacBookPr0 2017 running Ventura.

A "newbie" question that I haven't found an easy answer to...

I have applied a simple legend to each of the seven Lighting Devices rigged on a vertically hung 7-rung ladder.

I have created a Schematic "Top" view of the ladder and, after rotating it 90º, it displays the "Lighting Pipe Ladder in Schematic view" and the seven lights and their legends (Channel, Universe/Address, Colour, Gobo etc) absolutely perfectly.

So far so good.

How do I hide the Legends that are displayed one on top of the other beside the "real" 3d Lighting Devices when in Top/Plan view while still showing the Legends beside the "Lighting Devices in Schematic View"?

Many thanks,

John

352106102_Screenshot2022-11-01at18_16_37.thumb.png.e80a9fbaaf376906f717f1c43552c676.png

911324670_Screenshot2022-11-01at18_22_58.thumb.png.0a77458a8917a0aea070bdce509b564d.png

609230193_Screenshot2022-11-01at18_10_25.thumb.png.ea9e6da139941af8a85cc65596cf6411.png

651047724_Screenshot2022-11-01at18_12_27.png.e4c55885093055164e42ea499e13406f.png

The way to manage this is by using sheet layer viewports.

I tend to put all my schematic views on their own layer and within a number of separate viewports. I put side light SR and SL on individual layers and these can then be either added to separate Viewports from where you can adjust the label classes as you need.

What I most often do is then is to create a generic footprint symbol for the booms and have footprints on a layer above the modelled Sidelight.

It all sounds convoluted but once you have worked out a method that works for your drawing style, then it’s dead easy to recreate it every time you need it.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help and explanation.

You're right - it does sound convoluted...!

I have everything inn "Model space" because I haven't yet learned all about Sheet Layers, Viewports & their visibilities and the Title Block Manager in Vectorworks.
It's all pretty similar to AutoCAD's Paperspace which I do know lots about so I will start using all that stuff in due course.

For the time being I have just been creating a simple rectangle with a solid black fill that I have placed on a Layer called "Lighting-Vwx-Wipeouts" which I have above the Layer containing the Lighting Devices and I am using them as "Wipeouts" (an AutoCAD term) to hide the unwanted labels on the 3d Lighting Devices.

It works pretty well, but is a bit of a faff...

I was hoping that there would be a simple toggle that would allow me to achieve this.

"Display Legend in Schematic View Only" either on the Legend itself or in the Properties of the Lighting Devices.

Thanks very much,

John

Edited by John Bishop

Hi Pat,

Thank you.

Surely turning off the Class for the labels turns them off for the "Lighting Devices in Schematic View" and also for the "Lighting Devices" themselves...?

I want the labels ON for the "Lighting Devices in Schematic View" but OFF for the "Lighting Devices" on the Lighting Ladder Pipes.

And ON for the Lighting Devices on the over the stage and auditorium "Lighting Pipes".

That's the problem I'm trying to solve..

John

Use Viewports and control the classes in each viewport.

Or use different Design Layer and Saved Views and control the classes visible with the saved view.

I don't do enough with lights to be able to help more.

If you want lights on the same "sheet" to have labels both on and off the only option will be to do multiple viewports.

15 hours ago, John Bishop said:

Hi Pat,

Thank you.

Surely turning off the Class for the labels turns them off for the "Lighting Devices in Schematic View" and also for the "Lighting Devices" themselves...?

I want the labels ON for the "Lighting Devices in Schematic View" but OFF for the "Lighting Devices" on the Lighting Ladder Pipes.

And ON for the Lighting Devices on the over the stage and auditorium "Lighting Pipes".

That's the problem I'm trying to solve..

John

Unfortunately this is not possible. In my opinion, Schematic Views aren't quite in synch with professional standards and workflows and could use a set of enhancements to be truly effective. I'd recommend posting this to the wishlist.

• 1 month later...