Plant Tag Alignment

BJRobinson

Hi again.

I am struggling with aligning my plant tags automatically.

I have a plan that has over 30 species of plants set out in a cottage garden style.

I have always had trouble aligning the plant tags as they almost always crossover and are spaced apart at a spacing that I don't want. So I am always tweaking them or just giving up and doing it manually.

What am I missing?

The current plan:

First try at aligning is 

image.png.290a14cf8442b926e83c014e7a30f9e0.png

I am drawing my alignment line where the pink line is every time. This is the result.

Nowhere near the line I drew. All bunched up and crossing lines.

image.thumb.png.3304bb8ae34aab8080f5e266e0f7b434.png

Second attempt: No better.

image.png.280b47166059e11e9e5b71f33082adc2.png

image.thumb.png.d634825b20b3e0acbbc443ce42463476.png

This was a bit better. But still crossed lines and no where near where I drew my line.

image.png.fb6ef82d6c80fb9ba543c4d88da43383.png

image.png.8f13de89e7f066f9ec71c7134905228b.png

I could keep going with configurations, but a similar outcome.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2022 at 10:35 PM, BJRobinson said:

they almost always crossover and are spaced apart at a spacing that I don't want

I'm currently annotating a planting plan and having to deal with this...

I always plan on doing a first pass a little bit wider than I want for the final.

That way I can see which lines are crossing and then very roughly stack them in the right order.

Note - if you do the first pass too wide then the leader line crosses will be all over the place - the key is to do just wide enough that you have room to manually resort the offending leader lines.

In the second pass I align distribute they seem to get much closer with maybe only one or two crossing lines that I adjust manually.

And in the third pass I align the labels (we like groups to be all vertical).

Quick note about spacing in case you hadn't read this before - the tool uses the spacing between the top 2 tags when using "equal distance between shoulder lines"

Second quick note - I just put up a wish list to add presets to this very useful, but not quite perfect tool!

• Like 1
On 12/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, hollister design Studio said:

I'm currently annotating a planting plan and having to deal with this...

I always plan on doing a first pass a little bit wider than I want for the final.

That way I can see which lines are crossing and then very roughly stack them in the right order.

Note - if you do the first pass too wide then the leader line crosses will be all over the place - the key is to do just wide enough that you have room to manually resort the offending leader lines.

In the second pass I align distribute they seem to get much closer with maybe only one or two crossing lines that I adjust manually.

And in the third pass I align the labels (we like groups to be all vertical).

Quick note about spacing in case you hadn't read this before - the tool uses the spacing between the top 2 tags when using "equal distance between shoulder lines"

Second quick note - I just put up a wish list to add presets to this very useful, but not quite perfect tool!

Thanks. I did not know about the spacing of the top 2 tags. This will also help a lot.