Some you win...some you lose. And a top (financial) tip....

David S

image.thumb.png.c5fce48088e4c4387b447608dfb99197.png

Ah well. Spent a long long time on this survey 3D model. Love this local house. Did we get them planning? Yes we did. Did we proceed to the working drawings? No we didn't. Undercut by a design and build company and an interior designer even before the planning was passed 😞 However. We used to price in 3 stages. Survey (loss leader), planning and working drawings (recoup the up front 3d build loss).   But got fed up of sometimes losing work down the line over planning and working drawings. So at great risk, we created a new pricing model. 50% of survey and planning fees on survey release. Remaining 50% of survey and planning fee on planning submission. Working dwgs still separate fee. Reduces the risk of not proceeding to planning, money up front in the bank. What's not to like? In the last two years I don't recall losing any client work with this different pricing model. Disappointed we never took it to detail stage but you can't win them all! Cheers D   

• Like 4

I price surveys based on how long it'll actually take me to measure up and then model properly, and invoice for it once I send the "as existing" drawings and before starting any design work. I explain that the survey drawings form the basis of all the drawing work I do at later stages and even if they proceed no further, the survey drawings are theirs to keep and use as they wish.  I find that the speed and willingness with which that first invoice is paid is a useful indicator of how things might go further down the line.