Add "locate in resource manager" to Plant Object right click context menu - for quick access to my Plant Record data.

hollister design Studio

Question

Most things can be right clicked on to open them directly in the resource manager.

That plants can't be seems to be a missed opportunity.

I have a lot of relevant information stored in the 'plant record' for each plant object - and I'm not embarrassed to say I sometimes need to check to make sure various plant's soil pH rating, mature height, or even if they will grow in part shade (ok, a little embarrassed about the sun/shade thing).

I've input all that data to my plant objects, but there is no quick way to access it as far as I can tell.

A direct route to the plant object in the Resource Manager would seem to be a simple way to get to all this data quickly - as opposed to my current multi click work flow - open the RM, set search to "selected file only", search for the plant object, click on the plant...

I suppose it could also be nice to have a menu that showed a selected plant's plant record... is that possible with a custom menu?

• Like 2

12 answers to this question

@Kevin Allen

I do have that, but I'm looking more for something quick for "on the fly" data review.

Here's a situation - this morning I placed a Baccharis pelularis and couldn't remember if it could handle part shade...

It would have been nice to right click and be able to see that info immediately.

As it stands, I opened the RM and searched for the plant (which hadn't imported into my Shrubs folder, so it took some searching) and then got the info.

It would have been better workflow to just right click and have it accessible.

Most other objects (walls, line types, most other symbols...) are accessible by right click - why not plant objects?

@bcd I don't know about you but clicking on the "settings" button takes 30 to 40 seconds for the menu to even open for me.

And then I have to go to 'more data' - which actually is not even viewable (greyed out) from the "plant settings" menu -

For my plants it's only accessible by going to the "Edit Plant Settings" menu - which has even more buttons and drop downs...

Again, I would love a quick right click and have it the data accessible.

Edited by hollister design Studio

I have taught students and managed groups who were learning plants or had a hard time remembering their attributes.

I found that using a graphic convention in the plant symbol which depicts requirements for sun exposure, irrigation, and bloom color/time of year makes this easier for folks.

Placing this information on classes that can be turned off gives you options.  If you do a good job developing a graphic style, you can usually leave them on and make them a part of what makes a symbol unique.  The same technique was used back in the day of hand graphics too.... deciduous vs evergreen trees, ground cover vs shrub, annual vs perennial, etc...

I mean we are graphic people by nature and need unique looking plant symbols to make plans useful.

Alternatively, you could use a data tag or data visualization to generate the information on demand, that's pretty quick and BIMy.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I found that using a graphic convention in the plant symbol which depicts requirements for sun exposure, irrigation, and bloom color/time of year makes this easier for folks.

I just wanted to say I love this idea.

I already have a built-in, oversized "plant name" that lives on a separate class that I turn off to print after I get my data tags connected.

A clean looking sun exposure would be a nice addition.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

I just wanted to say I love this idea.

I already have a built-in, oversized "plant name" that lives on a separate class that I turn off to print after I get my data tags connected.

A clean looking sun exposure would be a nice addition.

I thought you might 🙂

Here's an early example a system I put together for one of my teams.

It works well for multi-cultural offices too, where English may be a second or third language.

In this example, the colors of the plant fill and bloom were from a symbolic palette that helped staff make sure they were pairing things according to our desired aesthetic.  I would create a few key vignettes for different planting areas and then have my staff use that as a recipe for other areas.  Think focal areas, nodes, foundation plantings, or special use situations such as adjacent to pools, parking islands, playgrounds, etc...

The best part of using a graphic language to code meaningful information is you can be sitting in front of a client reading a plan upside-down, and answer some basic information like when something blooms... without having to scramble.  We all have moments where we forget things, especially if it's a plant you haven't used in a while and were focused on something else when the question was asked.

2020950374_ScreenShot2022-10-28at11_14_46.thumb.png.a08bfac7e64fc36f09d80a0d468dbd4d.png

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

I thought you might 🙂

Here's an early example a system I put together for one of my teams.

It works well for multi-cultural offices too, where English may be a second or third language.

In this example, the colors of the plant fill and bloom were from a symbolic palette that helped staff make sure they were pairing things according to our desired aesthetic.  I would create a few key vignettes for different planting areas and then have my staff use that as a recipe for other areas.  Think focal areas, nodes, foundation plantings, or special use situations such as adjacent to pools, parking islands, playgrounds, etc...

The best part of using a graphic language to code meaningful information is you can be sitting in front of a client reading a plan upside-down, and answer some basic information like when something blooms... without having to scramble.  We all have moments where we forget things, especially if it's a plant you haven't used in a while and were focused on something else when the question was asked.

2020950374_ScreenShot2022-10-28at11_14_46.thumb.png.a08bfac7e64fc36f09d80a0d468dbd4d.png

Really nice technique!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Thanks.  I'll have to dig out the full mid-century modern treatment I came up with.  It's similar to this one, but has more of an Eames inspired look with radial attributes signaling values in addition to these concentric arc examples.

Is solar death ray a joke for plants with parking lot sun baked survival skills?

18 minutes ago, Phillip Tripp said:

Is solar death ray a joke for plants with parking lot sun baked survival skills?

Death Ray is a proper architectural term to landscape architects 🙂

I do a lot of work in hot desert environments with reflected heat and radiation.  Many plants which tolerate full sun in the desert will become crispy critters when located near glazing, facades, or swimming in a sea of pavement.  Even projects in temperate climates can have plants die at the hands of the death ray shot from a shiny facade.  A great example is Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA, though no plant could survive that, it was melting cars.

Here's a good article that mentioned a few fryscapers:

https://gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-buildings-that-melt-things-1247657178

Just now, jeff prince said:

Death Ray is a proper architectural term to landscape architects 🙂

I do a lot of work in hot desert environments with reflected heat and radiation.  Many plants which tolerate full sun in the desert will become crispy critters when located near glazing, facades, or swimming in a sea of pavement.  Even projects in temperate climates can have plants die at the hands of the death ray shot from a shiny facade.  A great example is Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA, though no plant could survive that, it was melting cars.

Here's a good article that mentioned a few fryscapers:

https://gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-buildings-that-melt-things-1247657178

ahh yes, i know exactly what you mean and the concert hall story, but the term escaped my memory.  thanks. 

• Like 1