Realistic Strip lights

What are the odds that VW will figure out how to make strip lights render light realistically? I know I can play around with the field and beam settings to sort of fake it, but the lights don't look believable if you are using them for lighting a scenic good like a cyc. 

here are supposed to be ColorForce 72s in a line. What I get are hot spots. Any thoughts? 🧐

Thank you,

Josh

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 1.51.01 PM.png

1 minute ago, Josh Schulman said:

What are the odds that VW will figure out how to make strip lights render light realistically? I know I can play around with the field and beam settings to sort of fake it, but the lights don't look believable if you are using them for lighting a scenic good like a cyc. 

here are supposed to be ColorForce 72s in a line. What I get are hot spots. Any thoughts? 🧐

Thank you,

Josh

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 1.51.01 PM.png

@Josh Schulman I tend to either roll my own by deploying IES files, but multiples of them per strip fixture, or I create one with multiple sources from the 'Spotlight Mode' of the VWX Light tool (the light bulb icon). I end up playing with the beam and field angles to develop something which 'looks' right-er. I also attached a modified spotlight CFII72 with IES lights, in case you're interested

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 11.02.48 AM.png

CF72+IES.vwx

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MrTemplate said:

yes, multiple emitters is a good starting point. but if you're dealing with old-school three-circuit striplights do your homework, especially if you want to view the colored gel in the rendered striplight.

Yep, this is such a fun task!

1 hour ago, Kevin Allen said:

really nice render.

@Kevin Allen thanks man. the really fun part was the filled scrim

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I found this thread to try to once again teach myself how to make a strip light look correct, and after reading through the thread all I get is facepalm

ugh

So back to putting multiple emitters in the light.

Of course when I tried that it didn't work.

more facepalm.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, Mickey said:

I found this thread to try to once again teach myself how to make a strip light look correct, and after reading through the thread all I get is facepalm

ugh

So back to putting multiple emitters in the light.

Of course when I tried that it didn't work.

more facepalm.

I was able to get those robe cycbars to work, and it was worth it. There's another thread somewhere that documents my journey. Also, since then, that IES bug should have been fixed (not that it matters), and Shaded rendering is constantly improving.

What got me across the finish line was following the built in VW Help documentation to a T, and watching Mark Doubleday's videos. It was a painful day or two but everything made sense in the end. If you have the time to hunker down and power through it, go for it. If nothing else, I have a much clearer understanding of Lighting Device parts, what they do, and why (that alone made it worthwhile because there's a lot of misinformation out floating around out there).

• Like 1