How could I miter the ends of custom drawn window casings?

Bruce Kieffer

Question

I draw my window casings in profile as 1/2" x 2-1/4" with 1/8" filleted out side edges. Like this:

1570153369_Screenshot2022-10-27at11_48_25AM.png.1d5714e024861e854e7673e09b9d1aeb.png

Then I extrude them.

2083703658_Screenshot2022-10-27at12_07_10PM.png.fdb4a32b1c0b837ecf2c044c8349a5d9.png

Next I want to miter the ends. I tried the Split tool and that works, but it creates a solid section, and I don't know if that is good or bad. Is there a better way to cut these mitered ends?

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

12 answers to this question

I always have to be careful answering your questions :-).

Do you want a piece of trim stock that is mitered or do you want trim around a window?

If you want the first then either a solid subtraction or using the split tool to create a solid section will work.  You can always either ungroup them to get back to the original objects or double click to edit them and adjust the cut or subtraction.

If you want trim around a window then I would use an extrude along path.  This will give you one object with that profile that surrounds the window.

Or you could use this tool:  https://plugins.andreafacchinello.it/baseboard/ 

1 hour ago, E|FA said:

You could also draw the frame (or individual pieces if you want to see the joint) as a polygon in elevation, then extrude 1/2", then fillet front edges.

I have done it this way, but it is really hard to change the length when going into history mode especially when Vectorworks flips the polygon around so you can't see the other objects related to it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, michaelk said:

I can't find it any more, but Bruce used to have a website with some of the furniture he has built.  Amazing stuff.

(I visited his shop once, but it was so clean that I'm pretty sure it was fake.)

I removed my site when I retired. And as for clean! Well, that is in my genes, god bless my Mother. I posted some of my recent work in the Solids Modeling forum.

• Like 1