truss data tag VS report

Ben3B

Hello Is a way to use truss data tag instead of report ?

I just want a data tag who count the truss element of a truss system, I can do it with report but I have to duplicate and edit each report with different filter based on position or classe or layer...

I looked in the data tag parameters but i didnt found the count fonction , so I think it isn't possible  to do what I want ...

If a way exist it will be faster than edit report 🙂

thanks !

It would be nice to have a mix between datatags ans worksheet 

A stuff like you put your worksheet ans clik on a truss system to automatically link the worksheet to the truss system 

By the way you only have to build (one time) different worksheet to filter the info you need or not (one for hoist, the other for truss elt... )

Or if I filter by position and always give the same name to the truss ...

For example position lx1/lx2 lx3... and worksheet for position lx1/lx2/lx3... I only need to put the right WS in "front " of the good truss system ...

i'll try 🙂

4 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

Both Savvy Position Label and AutoPlot Tools (Truss Tags) provide fully functional trial periods.

Josh, does Savvy Position Label, label systems that have not been converted to Hanging Positions?

Yes, Savvy Position Label will attach directly to truss objects and report on the entire truss system, a truss line, or a single truss piece. You can list total weight and length, as well as list component pieces or attached items.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

Yes, Savvy Position Label will attach directly to truss objects and report on the entire truss system, a truss line, or a single truss piece. You can list total weight and length, as well as list component pieces or attached items.

Cool.  I'll try to check it out, hopefully before LDI.

I just try the savy position 
It works if you only have one sort of truss in your system as you can see below 

here is the formula : #Count#:#TrussItem#.#Name#_#TrussItem#.#Name#

the 1st is by truss piece

the 2nd is by truss system

the 3rd is by truss line

image.thumb.png.a86f5692e0bb56bfc215ffbe27387a00.png

So because in contrary of lighting device, you can't automatically put the truss in a class with its position name,

and because (if no mistake) you can't filter a worksheet by the truss position name,

the only way I 've found  Is to have in a template classe with the same name as position 

here for example position LX1 and LX2

I build 1 worksheet with "count" "truss name" "position name" duplicate it and filter it by classe, one for the classe LX1 the 2nd for the classe LX2

So it works but it's not dynamic, and you must give a position name (normal 😉 ) AND put the truss in the good class who must have the same name as the position ... 

Be careful for mistake 🙂

Feel free to share other method 🙂

image.png.11dd18833aa1e309005eb582126af4ce.png

5 hours ago, Ben59 said:

I just try the savy position 
It works if you only have one sort of truss in your system as you can see below 

here is the formula : #Count#:#TrussItem#.#Name#_#TrussItem#.#Name#

the 1st is by truss piece

the 2nd is by truss system

the 3rd is by truss line

image.thumb.png.a86f5692e0bb56bfc215ffbe27387a00.png

If you want a count of all the components, use the List function. For example:

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Length#

for a list of lengths

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Symbol#

for all the symbol names

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Name#

for all the true item names

image.thumb.png.3a52aff6b2f6a1d50c99e4f4012cf930.png

20 hours ago, JBenghiat said:

Cool.  I'll try to check it out, hopefully before LDI

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks like Savvy Position Label is more robust at reporting more things than the AP Truss Tag.  I have a couple of things to investigate, see below, but Josh's stuff is always rock solid in what it tries to do.

1. I will be curious about what control there is over the format of the label.  AP Truss Tags use user defined symbols.

2. I will also be curious if one can create worksheet of the Labels and filter the worksheet by labeled object, e.g. separate worksheets for Savvy truss labels and Savvy light pipe labels.

1 hour ago, Sam Jones said:

1. I will be curious about what control there is over the format of the label.  AP Truss Tags use user defined symbols.

2. I will also be curious if one can create worksheet of the Labels and filter the worksheet by labeled object, e.g. separate worksheets for Savvy truss labels and Savvy light pipe labels.

SPL only two areas of control - the position name (which can also be custom text), and the note overall, which is via text styles. 
Unlike AP Truss Tags, SPL objects only display the data as part of the object, so there’s not any extracted data to work with further. 

42 minutes ago, JBenghiat said:

Unlike AP Truss Tags, SPL objects only display the data as part of the object

I'm not sure I understand the difference.  The AP Truss Tags (AP TT) collect data from Hanging Positions and other truss systems, drilling down to find the pertinent data, it puts the collected data into data record fields that are displayed through text linked to the record fields of the tag.  I imagine collects the data and writes it out into a text field formatted with text styles.  I guess the main difference is is that it is possible to display user entered data into AP TT to display data that has not been entered into the truss object, e.g. bolt or pin counts.   Below is a tag the displays all the fields that a user can choose from to display in their own tags, and that can be displayed in a worksheet of the tags.  It is also a tag that you would never use; I just use it to test and debug the tags.

image.thumb.png.910214ae66a36ef85b686e33d2ee6bc9.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:52 AM, JBenghiat said:

If you want a count of all the components, use the List function. For example:

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Length#

for a list of lengths

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Symbol#

for all the symbol names

#List#:#TrussItem#.#Name#

for all the true item names