Searching for: all materials from a spec design layer

Good morning

I am trying to obtain the area and volume of the materials to be derived for each design layer. In a linear and simple way. I've been trying for a long time, I haven't been able to do it yet. Has anyone been able to clearly extrapolate this data?

Thank you

I think we will be able to get you what you want.

There is a Criteria of Material <Any> is present.  Using that you should be able to get all of the objects that have materials. Add a Layer Is criteria and you will get only the materials that are on a specific layer.

Check the Search Within Symbols and Search Within Plug-in Objects boxes and you should get all the contained objects on the layer as well.

If this is not enough, please post a file with some objects so I can work on getting you what you need.

22 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I think we will be able to get you what you want.

There is a Criteria of Material <Any> is present.  Using that you should be able to get all of the objects that have materials. Add a Layer Is criteria and you will get only the materials that are on a specific layer.

Check the Search Within Symbols and Search Within Plug-in Objects boxes and you should get all the contained objects on the layer as well.

If this is not enough, please post a file with some objects so I can work on getting you what you need.

Using any material is present, I need to check the quantity inside component wall etc. By this way, the quantity are not merged and see every single wall. Can I send you via PM a message with a dedicated link? thanks

@sbarrett good morning

I seem to remember that some time ago I asked you something similar. But I'm not sure. The problem lies in easily defining the quantities of materials from objects such as walls or slabs with many components. For every single design layer. Each component has a material. The worksheet couldn't (and I still can't) merge the names of the materials to quickly calculate everything.

It is a very important project, it could be a good thing to show. May I ask you what you think? Did you get to do some rehearsals?

Thank you in advance

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Does the preformatted 'Material Take-off' report not do what you want? Or rather, what is it that this report doesn't do that you need it to do?

I need something similar, but able to split the quantity for each design layer 

Material Takeoff-Database is a database of materials. You can right click on the header row and change the criteria so you only get one layer but leave the other criteria alone.

Once you have one done, you can either duplicate the entire worksheet for each layer, or copy and paste the database header row either into a new row in the same worksheet or into a new worksheet and then change the criteria to reference a different layer.

Thank you all for the support

Excuse me, maybe I don't know enough about the software. I can't find the point to assign the design layer. Can I ask you to attach a screenshot, a small video? I need to figure out exactly which worksheet you're talking about and how to try to do this.

Thanks in advance

8 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Dashing out now.  I will send more details later.

Right click on the Database Header Row (3, not 3.1, 3.2, etc.) choose Edit Criteria.  Click the Add button.  Set that new criteria to Layer Is and choose the layer you want.

Issues

1- Material Takeoff - Database get a correct full list

1065381896_Schermata2022-10-30alle06_38_42.thumb.png.28d5a6472c9534610f9fcce537a1857c.png

2- If I add "layer is --" whit "all criteria in this set" the worksheet is empty

1909028381_Schermata2022-10-30alle06_33_12.thumb.png.3580658041071a66b6cb088d4522eb4c.png

3- If I add "layer is --" whit "any criteria in this set" the worksheet don't allow me to merge materials

2003693583_Schermata2022-10-30alle06_44_05.thumb.png.0c1c5955a609ff4b067441c1b9dd2450.png

I think that criteria

"type is material" Locates the material resource in the drawing, like a resource list

is not compatible with

"design layer is ..."

Or can't do it. Material database takeoff derives 69 items. So I have to keep finding few materials in each design layer!

• Like 1

I found the discussion more than a year ago made with@sbarrett

So confirm what I thought: it's not possible to do what I need.

I ask you what we can do: I think it is unacceptable that such an operation cannot be done for an architectural project.

Can we all try to work together and solve this problem? I think it can interest a lot of people.

What do you think about it?

Thank you

Edited by zeno
1 hour ago, zeno said:

I think that criteria

"type is material" Locates the material resource in the drawing, like a resource list

is not compatible with

"design layer is ..."

Or can't do it. Material database takeoff derives 69 items. So I have to keep finding few materials in each design layer!

I think if you remove the 'Object Type is Material' criteria you can search for Materials on a layer by layer basis but the report will list all objects regardless of whether they use Materials or not + where there is no Material present it'll return a value of 0. So instead you can ask it to search for Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc (on a layer by layer basis) but I still think you'll get a row for the Wall/Slab/Roof/etc as well as the Materials found within the components + I don't know how you exclude those 'zero' rows...

2091619824_Screenshot2022-10-30at07_42_22.thumb.png.4ce8cc6b03e6b4d5cbde10d581a35085.png

@Luka Stefanovic might also be a good person to ask about this.

Good morning

I found a way, it works and I'm happy because I'll be able to proceed with my work.

To define a list of materials for design layer you need to:

- a worksheet where you define only the criteria ‘material x is present’ and ‘design layer is..’

- the total sums are in the first row at the top of each criterion

Comes a spreadsheet miles long because for now you can't merge the elements, so you need to:

- another spreadsheet where you can report the data of the individual cells (connected)

My opinion is that something smarter should be done in this direction. If the developers believe that my contribution can be useful, just write me in PM.

Otherwise I can give my opinion and say that there is a big lack in the potential of the worksheet and materials for architectural projects.

Thanks for the support

799403063_Schermata2022-10-31alle07_24.08(2).thumb.png.2d667baf0252a61536b3b8434e7d6ee8.png

I'm working on the final list and it's interesting because you can also understand several errors that are present in the model.

Studying in detail I noticed that autohybrid objects do not allow you to calculate the quantities of materials. I also posted the VB-191520

@Matt Panzer please can I ask you in advance if you know a method to solve the problem? maybe i'm making a mistake like the one in the beam a few days ago.

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, zeno said:

I'm working on the final list and it's interesting because you can also understand several errors that are present in the model.

Studying in detail I noticed that autohybrid objects do not allow you to calculate the quantities of materials. I also posted the VB-191520

@Matt Panzer please can I ask you in advance if you know a method to solve the problem? maybe i'm making a mistake like the one in the beam a few days ago.

Thank you

Hi @zeno,

Try editing the Criteria and deselect "Include subparts".  It does look like a bug though...

Just now, Matt Panzer said:

Hi @zeno,

Try editing the Criteria and deselect "Include subparts".  It does look like a bug though...

Hi Matt

Thank you for answering

I confirm that he can't read the quantities materials. But for now the road is simple because it sees the object but does not read the quantities, presenting a zero that is immediately understood. From the worksheet I'm going back to the autohybrids, which are still inside symbols, so I'm solving pretty fast. And yes: every time the quantities change as expected

For the BUG there is already the VB-191520. I hope it can be resolved quickly. We have many other projects to do

Thanks

9 minutes ago, zeno said:
14 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi @zeno,

Hi Matt

Thank you for answering

I confirm that he can't read the quantities materials. But for now the road is simple because it sees the object but does not read the quantities, presenting a zero that is immediately understood. From the worksheet I'm going back to the autohybrids, which are still inside symbols, so I'm solving pretty fast. And yes: every time the quantities change as expected

For the BUG there is already the VB-191520. I hope it can be resolved quickly. We have many other projects to do

Just to clarify my last (brief) message: Deselecting "Include subparts" do show the quantities for me.

• Confused 1
26 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Just to clarify my last (brief) message: Deselecting "Include subparts" do show the quantities for me.

OMG

sorry but I didn't understand. I missed the "de" of "selecting", my mistake.

Ok. Actually me too now shows the quantities on that file even if it's not what I expected.

If I can: if I exclude that selection I read the quantities of solids inside the autohybrids (why? but ok)

If I have to read the wall components in the same worksheet where the materiali is on autohibrids object, how should I do it?

Thanks

PS: there is also this question about quantities material 

2 minutes ago, zeno said:

OMG

sorry but I didn't understand. I missed the "de" of "selecting", my mistake.

Ok. Actually me too now shows the quantities on that file even if it's not what I expected.

OK.  At least we're both seeing the same.

If I can: if I exclude that selection I read the quantities of solids inside the autohybrids (why? but ok)

Right.  That's what I was afraid of.  And that part is the bug.

If I have to read the wall components in the same worksheet where the materiali is on autohibrids object, how should I do it?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to get both.

PS: there is also this question about quantities material 

I'll try to look at soon...