Texture mystery

I'm trying to apply a texture to extruded rectangles that are part of a deck railing symbol, but when I render the image, the texture on these objects doesn't show up. I've tried the mapping dialogue in the OIP, thinking maybe the orientation of the texture was serving to make it unapparent in the rendering, but in the mapping dialogue window, the object shows up with whatever fill colour it has and no texture. Colour shader: birch, reflectivity: matte, no transparency, no bump. Is there something else that I'm missing here? Something I should have done? All other textures in the drawing are behaving themselves... (posting this to general discussion forum as well)

[Confused]

Mac OS10.3.7 VW10.5 RW installed

867Mhz PowerPC G4 512MB SDRAM

Are you trying to map a symbol? It has to be done on the extrude-level, not on the symbol-level. If not, try to choose the extrude, and then apply the texture directly from the render-tap on the object info palette. If this fails as well, try changing the extrudes into solid objects - for instance by adding them together or making a duplicate and add it to the original - and then apply the texture to the solid.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Heather:

What is the texture size? If the texture is set too small or too large its pattern would be less apparent.

I would say check the repeat horizontal and vertical checkboxes for the mapping, but those are not relevant for the birch color shader, only for the image color shader.

What render mode are you using? Is "Use Textures" on in the OpenGL and Custom RW options dialogs?

[ 01-04-2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Dave Donley ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again Heather:

Are you trying to render in OpenGL mode? If so, are the textures that are rendering correctly image-based textures? In 10.5, OpenGL mode does not render the non-image-based color shaders like birch, only image-based ones. This limitation has been lessened in 11; OpenGL now shows the shaders as if they were image-based, it uses the resource browser thumbnail like an image texture.

Hi Dave, actually, I'm rendering in Custom mode. I think the problem may be what you stated in your first reply, which is that the scale of the texture may be too small in the rendered image to show up correctly. And because I made the fill a colour close to that of the texture... [smile] well, I see how I could have screwed up. But I'm also experiencing another quirk maybe you all could help me with - I've applied a texture to an extrude, and regardless of which mapping I use, only the edges of the extrude show any texture. I'll try Kaare's suggestion and turn it into a solid object...

Thanks!

[smile] heather