4'-0" wide round top window causes FQ Renderworks crash

fsung

OK, I'm stumped.

I installed VW 11.0.1 (Mac) on my 2.0 G5 Dual (512 Mb RAM, OS X 10.3.7) yesterday. I've been trying to render a file in FQ RW, the thing crashes every time I try it. (FQ RW handles it just fine 10.5.1.) Neither Open GL, Fast RW, nor Fast RW with shadows crash the thing.

I think I've isolated the problem to a pair of 4'-0" wide round top windows. If I reduce width of the windows to 3'-11 31/32" or change the top shape to an ellipse but leave them at 4'-0", the file renders without a hitch. The file will also render successfully if the window width is 4'-5 1/2" or greater, but not at sizes between 4'-0" and 4'-5 1/2".

What's going on? Why won't FQ RW allow 4'0"-4'-5 1/2" wide round top windows?

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I sent the file to Nemetschek on 12/22/04, as requested, but have yet to hear anything back. In the meantime, I've given the file to colleague who runs VW 11 (Win), and he can render it without a problem.

I've rebuilt the file from scratch in VW 11. There are 10 round-top windows in the building, and if any one window is set to between 4'-0" and 4'-5 1/2", the darn thing crashes when I try to render in FQ or Artistic RW. If I export the file to VW 10, then open it in VW 10 and run a FQRW, it renders without a glitch.

Three further notes:

a) the rendering crashes regardless of the sash operation;

b) the rendering only crashes if the top shape is set to Round;

c) replacing the window symbol (e.g., from Andersen to Marvin, or from W And AFFW508 to Win FG RND 3W 2850) and tweaking the settings does NOT resolve the issue.

Any ideas what's causing the problem?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello fsung:

Happy New Year!

I've been on vacation. Until I can look at the file, it is probably the NURBS generation that is crashing. Instead of Final RW try using Custom RW with all checkboxes on, Detail set to High, raytraced shadows and raytracing on, recursion set to 5. Then uncheck the "Use NURBS" checkbox and it should render without crashing.

Artistic RW always uses NURBS, so you would have to select the window symbol and convert the geometry to NURBS "manually" using the Model->Convert to NURBS menu command before rendering it.

HTH,