The Space Tool 2023

• 1 month later...

From my simplistic viewpoint, they have taken a tool which was really difficult and not user friendly and just made it 10 times worse. Spaces in VW have always been problematic, they are actually provide very little use, but they are needed.

As we have now moved forward onto Datatags and spaces being intrinsically linked, one of my biggest gripes is that I cannot associate a space with it in the Datatag OIP or at least give us an option of changing the way 2D locus are represented on screen so that we can see the!!!  There should be a way of selecting the space without having to scowl round the drawing trying to find a 2D locus which, by it's design is nearly impossible to find if there are any objects in the drawing.

• Like 3

As a sidenote - we as a practice cannot work in projects that have been imported from earlier versions (2022) and use spaces as the conversion process splits a space into a space and Datatag - making it nearly impossible to work with.

Well done VW another 'user improvement' that makes life harder again.

Edited by Kevin C
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Working with the VW2023 space tool is an absolute nightmare!

I imported a very old project from a very old version of VW into 2023.  There were about 100 rooms so I didn't want to make new spaces.  So...  this afternoon, I spent a few hours trying to convert the old space objects into the new format.  But I am struggling to figure out what is happening with these converted spaces.

I deleted the associated data tags in the Space Labels Dialogue Box.  I changed the custom name and room number.  But the old space label elements are showing up in some label format that I can't delete or turn off. 

Can anybody help me figure out what is going on?  I want to delete the blue text and use space label data tags. File attached.

Thanks!

C

Space Label Question.vwx

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1
On 12/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Kevin C said:

they have taken a tool which was really difficult and not user friendly and just made it 10 times worse.

This situation is unfortunate.  I wish Vectorworks talked to industry professionals prior to “improving” important tools.  Over the years they have broken many tools functionalities and in the process, wasted 10s of thousands of user hours as we all figure out how to adopt, work around, or give up on certain workflows.

a few examples:

Plant styles defaults

user interface

color picker

site model contour labels

hardscapes

landscape areas

stairs

etc…

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the above. This new space/data tag combination is an absolute horror to work with. We, and I assume, most everyone, use the space tool without a fill. Since the data tag is now, for some baffling reason, a separate entity from the actual space, it is neigh impossible to select the space (you'll always hit the wall instead). To make matters even more ridiculous, selecting the data tag in no way shape or form allow you to edit any of the data it contains, for that you still have to have the space selected.

At the very least, can we have a button to select the space the data tag is associated with, because this current situation is causing massive frustration and loss of time.

• Like 3

Add me to the list of long-term Vw users confounded by the changes to the Space / Data Tag in Vw2023.

All I want is a Room Name and a Number in a box which I can change on the OIP, just like I used to be able to do in Vw2022 - but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. It shouldn't take multiple hours trying to make it work.

I've learned how to reshape the boundary of the Space (red contoured highlights), but I don't know how to change the Name or Number on the Data Tag.

I searched the Vw University for 'Space' and none of the results are regarding the changes in Vw2023.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, rDesign said:

All I want is a Room Name and a Number in a box which I can change on the OIP, just like I used to be able to do in Vw2022 - but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it. It shouldn't take multiple hours trying to make it work.

The 'Space Tag-One Line' Data Tag in the VW libraries does this:

1938970917_Screenshot2023-01-31at06_27_31.png.15b9057ffba7afa6eda8f47aa09fe93a.png

You just need to rearrange the layout/graphics to your liking + save it as a new style.

Are you using Data Tags elsewhere in your projects? The Tag is simply 'reading' info from the object it is attached to. So in this case the 'Space Number' + 'Space Name' fields from the Space. So edit those fields in the Space + the Tag display changes accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can someone please walk me through the steps needed to recreate the following Space Tool settings in VW2023. I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff out or working around VW quirks, but this has me stumped.

I need a space tool setting per building segment, in this example 4.10.02 is that segment. 
We are in this case intervening in an existing building, so the extra 1 (4.10.02.1) before the space number is added to denote preliminary numbers that are in the 1.000 range so that we know they are new space numbers.

Once the numbers are set in stone, the extra 1 will be removed.

Space1.thumb.jpg.201f2079af50cbdb0568afc696985b83.jpg

In VW2022, I would then link specific items to my space label layout.

For a different building segment, I would click manage space labels and create a new one form there. 

This is where I get lost in VW2023. It actually imports the space label as a tag, but the two seem completely detached, where do I now edit the space number suffix for example?

Space2.jpg.901d9b0576a3d873712eab0ee70d5f57.jpg

This is what I want, but can't reproduce in VW2023:

Space3.thumb.jpg.87fc93e89e92499c5771dfc4217e5b7b.jpg

VectorWorks 2023 settings:

Space4-VW23.thumb.jpg.8ca5c79bf289df295310bb83af1e1740.jpg

I created a building specific tag to incorporate the building segment suffix, but it doesn't work either, and it's an ugly work around anyway

They #01# etc still seem to work, but I have no idea what setting now controls these items

Even though the data tag is correct, and the preview window shows the correct info, for some baffling reason, I get this instead:

Space5-VW23.jpg.1575c2733a029dcb76bd77b7d04af758.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on how this is supposed to work, would be much appreciated,

regards, Kees

1 hour ago, Kees W said:

Can someone please walk me through the steps needed to recreate the following Space Tool settings in VW2023. I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff out or working around VW quirks, but this has me stumped.

I need a space tool setting per building segment, in this example 4.10.02 is that segment. 
We are in this case intervening in an existing building, so the extra 1 (4.10.02.1) before the space number is added to denote preliminary numbers that are in the 1.000 range so that we know they are new space numbers.

Once the numbers are set in stone, the extra 1 will be removed.

Space1.thumb.jpg.201f2079af50cbdb0568afc696985b83.jpg

In VW2022, I would then link specific items to my space label layout.

For a different building segment, I would click manage space labels and create a new one form there. 

This is where I get lost in VW2023. It actually imports the space label as a tag, but the two seem completely detached, where do I now edit the space number suffix for example?

Space2.jpg.901d9b0576a3d873712eab0ee70d5f57.jpg

This is what I want, but can't reproduce in VW2023:

Space3.thumb.jpg.87fc93e89e92499c5771dfc4217e5b7b.jpg

VectorWorks 2023 settings:

Space4-VW23.thumb.jpg.8ca5c79bf289df295310bb83af1e1740.jpg

I created a building specific tag to incorporate the building segment suffix, but it doesn't work either, and it's an ugly work around anyway

They #01# etc still seem to work, but I have no idea what setting now controls these items

Even though the data tag is correct, and the preview window shows the correct info, for some baffling reason, I get this instead:

Space5-VW23.jpg.1575c2733a029dcb76bd77b7d04af758.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on how this is supposed to work, would be much appreciated,

regards, Kees

I'm no expert on this but it looks like you can add the 4.10.02.1 prefix in the Space settings if that's what you're trying to do: Space Style > Numbering > Space Number Type > Edit Combinations...

1412520286_Screenshot2023-03-20at12_14_29.thumb.png.0790e395f5246a47bd235c05e5630b4a.png

126378861_Screenshot2023-03-20at12_16_53.thumb.png.93c1b708da638c55acc182737871401a.png

Alternatively you can add the same prefix as static text in the Data Tag but I'm guessing it's preferable to have the prefix as part of the Space Number

1199985083_Screenshot2023-03-20at12_18_47.png.06004361328d586e16f9813710d33249.png

• Like 2

Ok, not exactly an improved over having a dedicated suffix field for space numbering, but I got that to work, thx!

I'm still confused as to how my space label layout (the data tag) and it's individual items are now linked to the actual space tool, but I'll just focus on getting some work done first for a bit 😅

1 minute ago, Kees W said:

I'm still confused as to how my space label layout (the data tag) and it's individual items are now linked to the actual space tool,

I don't think it's any different to how Data Tags work elsewhere: the tag is linked to the Space via the formulas in the dynamic text. In the Space Label section of the Space Settings you are just kind of pre-attaching the tag (or tags) to the Space so they appear automatically. But the Space + the Data Tag are essentially completely independent objects.

• 3 months later...