Importing Plant Images

BJRobinson

Hi All.

I have recently bought these and cannot work out how to get them into VW.

Can someone please point me to where I can get step by step instructions on importing plant images I have purchased and how to make them the 3D image for a plant.

Thanks heaps.

I seem to spend more time stuffing around with stuff like this than actually doing designs!!

image.png.bc6fb0f93ce49bfb6699ee3dbae42fea.png

Hello,

I see .fbx, .max files and .jpg images on your image, they are not the same thing.
The .fbx and .max files cannot be imported into VW.

You have to try to get .3ds or .obj files with .mtl and textures to get your plants in 3D.
I buy a lot of them and some are well configured, others not.
Where did you buy them? See if the files I describe are available too.

2 hours ago, BJRobinson said:

Thanks Guys.

I got them from CGTrader. I forgot to check the image types.

There are some that are the right file type. They are 3D objects. Are they correct for what i want them for? I want to start getting a bigger variety of images for the 3D component for the plant symbols.

image.png.7e9ab375f1f867a62623c86317d01bc0.png

Yes, download the OBJ and look, there should be a "texture" folder too.
I understand, I have greatly expanded my library also with these 3D objects because the 2D billboards are not realistic enough. CgTrader is a good source for that

• Like 1
On 10/25/2022 at 4:04 PM, Tom W. said:

As @Nico_be says .OBJ is the only file type there you can import but just be aware that using a 3D mesh for your plants may result in very large file sizes. The VW plants use Image Props to represent the plants in 3D. These are 2D images + give a good 3D likeness without tons of MBs.

Thanks Tom W.

Do you know a good source for image props of plants?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, BJRobinson said:

Thanks Tom W.

Do you know a good source for image props of plants?

Thanks in advance.

Your original screenshot above includes 8 jpegs so are they suitable for creating Image Props?

Or search 'plants png' online for plant images with transparent background.

I personally have never found suitable plant images online but that might just be down to the particular species I was looking for. I have instead taken my own photos + removed the background on Pixelmator Pro then exported as PNG...

21 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Your original screenshot above includes 8 jpegs so are they suitable for creating Image Props?

Or search 'plants png' online for plant images with transparent background.

I personally have never found suitable plant images online but that might just be down to the particular species I was looking for. I have instead taken my own photos + removed the background on Pixelmator Pro then exported as PNG...

Thanks Tom.

No, the Jpegs are plant parts, such as leaves.