Long render times

jarjones

I have a theatre with curtains in spotlight. When I look at it in OpenGL (or anything solid) it takes minutes to render. This is with 1 light source a few colors, and all textures removed on a G4 dual with 1.5GB RAM. The training video for Renderworks shows things in textured views being clicked and changed in real time; if I so much as click on an abject, it re-renders for another several minutes. Do I have something set up incorrectly?

You might have the 3d resolution set really high. I know the curtain objects can be very complex, depending on the settings and the 3d conversion resolution. When the conv. resolution is high and the curtain is complex, it will take a bit of time for it to render.

There are several other things that you may be able to do to speed the overall OS performance up, which may help speed this up.

In order to help with the tweeking, please include the exact version of VW you are using and the exact version of the OS you are using.

I double checked my settings and they are set to 72dpi in OpenGL and renderworks, no textures, no nurbs. It takes approximately 4 minutes to see the bare stage with curtains and 1 light source. If I try to click on anything, it takes that amount of time for each mouse click. It makes it quite frustrating to try and see how things are developing.

Jeff,

File-Preferences-Vectorworks Preferences.

Click the 3D tab. You'll see 3D Conversion Res. I generally set it to low during design and then medium or high for final output.

Click the Display tab. If you have plenty of memory (RAM), you might see some improvement by checking Use VectorCaching. I also leave the Hardware Accelerated option checked.

File-Preferences-Document Preferences.

Click on RasterRender tab. Under both options buttons, you can set rendering detail levels. Also shadow tracing with RW. Again, you might want to set them fairly low during design and then higher for final output.

Hope this helps.

[ 12-01-2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]