Vectorworks does not open due to expired license number

markymarc

Question

Had to go back to an old computer as my new one needs to go to repair. The old one used to have Vectorworks installed with a rented license number that is not in use anymore. The new one has my purchased license number on it. 

When I try to open VW on the old computer I can't change the license number in there because it asks to activate via internet, then says license expired and will shut down VW straight away. 

I know this has been an ongoing issue for years , and I can remember we had a similar problem in the past and solved it by deleting something somewhere on the Mac - maybe a plist file ? Not sure anymore. How can I get around this issue quickly ? 

5 answers to this question

On 10/20/2022 at 7:33 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Delete the below file.

/Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Library/Preferences/net.nemetschek.vectorworks.license.2021.plist

The easiest way to get to the (hidden) Library folder is to go to the Finder and click on the GO menu. Then hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear in the list of options.

I've deleted the file but didn't' help - then I deleted all Vectorworks plist files from the preferences library just in case.

What I'm getting are two messages, the first one saying it has been installed on too many machines and the second saying it is expired. Screenshots attached from those error messages fyi. Where to from here ? 

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 5.05.20 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 5.04.18 pm.png