Create a new window style

Hans Boman

When using the window or door tool you get a simplyfied rendition of a window or a door when you insert it in your drawing/model. I work in Sweden and sometimes I would like to insert a door or window that looks more similar to the product in real life. The cross section of the jamb, sash, shin etc is a bit more complicated in Sweden than the ones you get in the window styles library. In fact the only style that has cross sections that reminds me of real Swedish windows are the Velfac UK windows. The simplyfied windows are most times ok, but I would like to have a window style that I can use to ceate a swedish window. Windows made before ca 1970 often had two (2) parallell sets of sashes...    Thanks for feedback and/or tips on how to create a new window style with other cross sections of jamb and sash etc than provided in the style library.

You will most likely need to create a custom window in order to show what you want. See @Andy Broomell's excellent tutorial on how to do this:

https://www.andybroomell.com/custom-doors-windows-vwx

Although be good to understand better what exactly you're looking to achieve to see how close you can get to it with the Window + WinDoor tools. Can you post any images?

For all their drawbacks I prefer to use a parametric door/window rather than custom one wherever possible

• Like 2

This tab of the Window Style is where you'll find most of what you need. It's not always obvious what these figures are relative to so I suggest you draw in 2D the cross section that you want to achieve and then methodically go through each of these settings, to understand what they do and until you can get it to look like the cross section you want.

515814940_Screenshot2022-10-19at18_18_09.thumb.png.6f42f599b81105f93c1fed511b0b3eb8.png

Edited by Christiaan